Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 24, 2004, 5:05 PM   #1

Default "AE-lock" on Canon A80

Hello,

As being a former Sony digicam user, I used to press the "AE lock" button before I could use my polorisation filter.

But now I have the Canon Powershot A80, do you guys have any tips in using this camera together with a polorisation filter? Does the A80 also have a sort like "AE-lock"-button?

Thank you for your help!

Greetings,
Erik
hasato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2004, 12:51 PM   #2

Every Canon I've had, digicam or DSLR, the exposure lock is the "*" button, whether the flash is on or not, so check the manual, but that's probably what the exposure lock is.

You'll need to buy either the Canon adapter tube for the A80 or the one Lensmate sells in order to have threads to screw a filter on unless you want to shoot one handed & just hold the filter in front of the lens, which wouldn't probably be too good a thing to do.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 1:47 PM   #3

Well, in going back and checking out the review of the A80 it appears there is no exposure lock, so the only way to lock exposure, other than shifting into full manual and transferring the settings, may just be when you press the shutter release down half-way. That usually locks the exposure prior to releasing all the way and taking the picture. The "A" series is one step down feature-wise from the "G" series, so I guess I see the logic in Canon choosing to not include a dedicated button to lock exposure
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 11:52 AM   #4

Default Re: "AE-lock" on Canon A80

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasato
Hello,
But now I have the Canon Powershot A80, do you guys have any tips in using this camera together with a polorisation filter? Does the A80 also have a sort like "AE-lock"-button?
From the A70 manual:
Quote:
Press the button to turn on the LCD
monitor.
2 Press the shutter button halfway to lock
the focus. Keep it pressed and press the
MF button.
The MF icon appears on the LCD monitor.
The focus setting will lock even if the shutter button and
the MF button are released.
The manual focus setting will cancel if the MF button is
pressed again.
3 Recompose the image and press the
shutter button all the way to shoot the
image.
I expect the A80 works the same way. The Manual Focus button is the 'down' button on the 4-way button pad.

-jeff-

edit: The 'button' in step 1 would be the 'Disp' button. In thinking about it (camera isn't with me here or I'd try it), I don't think it matters if the display is on or not and you could probably skip step 1.
jrobert is offline   Reply With Quote