Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 26, 2004, 8:27 AM   #1

Default S1 IS and DMC-FZ10

Wich camera should i buy?
The most important points are:
Zoom: almost the same (10x vs 12x). The leica lenses are faster, or give better image quality?
Image quality? noise? noise reduction?
Manual controls?
Also the canon uses standard nimh's... that i already have two packs (x4) of them that i use with my trusty D460Z.
I've already seen that the movie mode on the canon is a beast.
Is a very very tough choice... i don't want to buy a product that i will regret. So... what do you suggest?
thanks in advance
gonzalo
ltcdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2004, 1:08 AM   #2

I'm making the same decision, but I think I'm leaning towards the FZ10. My reasons are fairly subjective though. They both have strengths and weaknesses and I don't think either would be a bad choice.

I think the standard night shot and the red eye test on DC Resources review were better with the Panasonic. I like 4 megapixel and the 12x zoom. I haven't seen the Canon in a store yet. It looks a lot smaller than the FZ10, which you may or may not like.

But I haven't made up my mind yet either.
Donsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 7:46 PM   #3

Another reason I like the Panasonic is they include the AC adapter. I think all higher end electronics should include this.
Donsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 10:50 PM   #4

I have brief experience with FZ10 in promotional counters with my own flash card and I think FZ10 is so much like a leica big glass lover's collectible.

In terms of shooting control and battery life, I think S1 IS is sure the winner. On S1 IS, shooting modes are directly accessible thru' the dial. While the FZ10 those A/S/M modes merged into a single stop on dial and you need to dig deep into the menu to choose Aperture priority. Even the promotional staff spend a few minutes to find it out.

For the image quality, I would say if you *always* stick to iso50 it is good to get FZ10. Photos of S1 IS are generally softer (due to the post processing from canon). I tried print out some FZ10 iso100 indoor photos at 4R size in shops and they appear to me too grainly to be acceptable.

my $0.02.
orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 8:10 AM   #5

I have the FZ10 on order and agonised over the S1 waiting for the first reviews. But the few pics I have seen left me somewhat disappointed. So I have broken ranks and I will soon know if the FZ10 is as good as some of the shots I have seen elsewhere. Mind you some shots in Steve's review dont look that good! So research is your key for what is the best camera for you.

Low light capability is always important so the OIS was a must for me. Check out these hand held ISO400 concert shots -

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=8079711

Also, be sure you test out the view finders. During focus lock, the new Canon's freeze and I found this immediately annoying. No good for moving subjects eg Kids or Sport, but even still off-putting in general use.

Good luck with your research and decision.
BRD911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 8:31 AM   #6

Default Samples

I forgot to add this link... had to search for it. These are great shots I thought. Shows how far technology has come in a pocket cam (almost!) with 35- 420mm. Not noisey, but not full size either.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=7994986

I look forward to seeing some great S1 outdoor and action shots to see how it compares. Hope this helps!

Cheers
BRD911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 9:27 PM   #7

its a very tough election..
at iso 100 and at iso 200, wich of both cameras deviler less-noisy images?
does the canon let you select soft medium or hard for the image? i don't like too much soft images.
ltcdata is offline   Reply With Quote