Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 27, 2004, 4:47 AM   #1

Default A75 or A80 urgent

Hi,
I have Sony P-12 and I am not satisfy. For still opbject it is OK but when my kids play, run and jump, pic are bloor.
You can look at this pic:

http://www.ajanovic.s4u.org/test1.jpg

I will return Sony P-12 and take A75 or A80 and that is my question?
It is not to much important is it 3.2(A75), 4(A80) or 5(Sony) MPix. I need the camera to take pic of my kid. I do not like picture when I need to say: "OK, be still, I need to take picture".

So what is different between:

A75: 118000 pixels 1,8"LCD
A80: 67000 pixels 1,5" LCS
Does A75 has a problem with LCD like A70.

A75: 35-105mm zoom
A80: 38-114mm zoom
What is it??? For what is it usefull?
It is not a problem with the price because I just make a switch between Sony P-12 and A80 and the price is the same.
But A75 is the newer than A80 and has some other features.
Does A80 are still better camera then A75? I do not talk about Mpix, but for my situation-taking pictures of my kids when thay play, ...
ajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2004, 7:42 AM   #2

Hi,

As an A80 owner and having used sony P-models, I could say sony is *quite* slow a camera for sports/kids. But in order not to give you the wrong expectation, I would say although A75/A80 is far better than sony P-models in recording speed, they are still not *fast* enough for capturing fast moving actions. To cope with such conditions you might need more skill/practising and compromise such as try shooting in better lighting environment or switching to higher iso (sensitivity) on A80.
orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 4:04 PM   #3

OK.
The point of your story is: Return Sony P-12 and take Canon A80.
I will probably do this, but I just want to know diferent between A75 and A80.
I still do not know what is:
zoom 35-105mm (A70) or 38-114mm for A80, and how it looks like the view on LCD on A80, because A80 has "only" 67000 pixels.
You have used Sony P-12 and have A80. So...

But thank you for answering.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 2:16 AM   #4

Hi,

The focal range of 35mm - 105mm does give A70/75 advantage over A80. With wide angle side of 35mm probably you could include 1 or 2 more people in your group photos with the bare camera lens without need to pulling back from your proper shooting position. If you're not doing that much it won't make a big difference. Afterall you *have* to add a wide angle lens for wide area scenary no matter you have 35mm or 38mm as starting point. At the tele end there is no obvious difference at all.

For the LCD, you would only notice the size difference (A75's 1.8" vs. A80's 1.5") but not the number of pixels (or quality change). Unless you really love to have the sensation of 0.3" more on the LCD size, a swivel LCD on A80 is an all-time great feature for composing and shooting.

As you are going to use it for kids photos, I wonder the extra 640 x 480, max 30s per clip video recording on A75 would be important for you too? A80 does have video recording mode too but only up to 320 x 240 screen size. Of course, in that case you might need more CF card memory for videos.
orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 6:43 AM   #5

Thank you.
I am just wondering if the view of LCD on A80 look good. It is not important to be 0,3" biger. For movie, I did not know that A80 do not have 640x480. But even that is not to much important because I use analog video camera for recording. I just want nice digital camera to take good looking picture and Sony P-12 witch I have is not.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 10:20 AM   #6

The swivel LCD on the A80 means that, like on a video camera, you can always angle it to get a better view. But it does more than this. Hold the camera down at arms length and angle the LCD upwards to take photos of small children at their own level. Holding the camera down away from your face also allows for more candid shots. You can aim the camera lens in any direction and still see the LCD. Take a self-portrait with the LCD turned right round. Put the camera on a tripod and angle the LCD up - no more crouching down ! Stand sideways at 90degrees to your subject, pointing the camera to your right or left, and angle the LCD towards you. Who will ever guess you're taking a picture when you're not even facing them ?!

All these things are impossible with a normal digicam. The photographic possibilities with the A80 are therefore much greater. Be creative and get the A80 !

Rose
Romy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 3:57 PM   #7

OK. Thank you.
Tomorow is day "D". I will return my Sony P-12 and get Canon A80.
I will be back with my new review of Canon A80 in few days.