Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 4, 2004, 5:08 AM   #11

Its still pretty easy to get blurry pics at 10x even with IS. Maybe its just my shaky hands. I've yet to get some good pictures from it, so far everything is taken from indoor.

Sorry about the confusion on the autofocus, let me try to explain it again.
Single autofocus
-Tries to focus only at half press
-Freezes on half press
-Once focus is set, it returns to real time preview whether button is half press or not
-Focus is locked when even when button is released

Continuous autofocus
-Tries to focus at all times
-Freezes on half press
-Focus is locked only if kept at half press
-Once focus is set, it returns to real time preview
-Returns to continuous focusing if half press is released

Hope that makes it much clearer. The point is that the view finder does not freeze when it tries to focus but it only freezes when it tries to lock the focus. It does not continuously freeze up during continuous autofocus. Interestingly, locking the focus in video mode has no lag/freeze.

I don't think its possible to stream the 'source quality' video directly into the pc. Even if it can, it'll be limited by the USB 1.1 interface transfer rate. USB 1.1 is 12Mbps ~ 1.5MBps. 640 x 480(Fine) at 30fps records at about 2MBps. However, I believe you can stream the video in analogue mode (AV out) if you have a video card with video in. But I believe there will be loss of quality through this means.

I've not tried taking pictures with the pc connected, infact I don't know how. I'm not sure if it can be done either. I didn't bother to install the software that came with it because I can transfer the files in XP's windows explorer.

brouhaha
brouhaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2004, 6:25 AM   #12

Ok, thanks, that makes more sence.
EXCEPT....if you use single autofocus and lock the focus by pressing halfway, you say that even if you release shutter it still is locked. How to make a new lock then? Press again or?
I mean, if you lock it as you want it and release button, and then you want to take the picture and press shutter again I'm sure it will make a new lock (new lock each time you press full or halfway).
I dont get the point why it should "save" the locked focus when shutter is released cause when you press it again it will save a new focus, but I guess that doesn't matter much

I guess the big practical difference between the two modes is that continous always has a somewhat good focus since it always hunts, so when you want to target it goes faster, but thats just my guess

Anyway, most important of all probably, are you satisfied with the camera? 10x zoom is fun, movie mode is as great and useful as you had hoped, and purple fringing and focus-locks are no big deals or are they?

Its always so confusing, what some people are really happy with and think is great, others only complain and say its shit. Its really hard to find out if a camera is for you or not
Seb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2004, 9:41 AM   #13

Yes, to relock a new focus, you have to half press again. But if you have a focus locked previously you can hit the shutter button all the way down to shoot. There isn't time for it to refocus and lock again unless you press it slowly on purpose. For me, I always half press again then shoot because I have the feeling that the focus is not there anymore and need some reassurance. Haha, its probably just me. :P

But normally, when I'm half pressing means I'm ready to shoot, so I won't usually release the shutter button unless I'm using the focus to shoot something else in similar distance. Even so, there's no real need to release the half press.

In my opinion, if half press is used on either mode, the time to take a shot is nearly, if not the same time. Continuous autofocus has the advantage of not needing to lock the focus to shoot, that is to say no half press. That is why its suitable for shooting moving subjects with inconsistent focal point. But I would suggest locking the focus whenever possible.

brouhaha

edit:
I wanted FZ10 initially but S1 has the compactness, uses CF, good video mode and AA batts that outweighs FZ10 for my needs. I do believe that FZ10 will offer better image quality, MP aside. I'm not thrilled with the image quality of S1 but its not something I didn't expect.

Like everyone says, it all depends what you need out of the camera.

edit:
With regards to purple fringing, yes...I see alot of it in the pictures I take. It's pretty annoying to me, perhaps there would be less if I know how to take proper shots.

edit:
Here's a close up shot with some purple fringing.
Old Apr 4, 2004, 12:43 PM   #14

Yes, some purple fringing there, but I see you used lowest aperture-value, and that always is worst for PF.
Maybe try lower it a bit and instead increase shutter-time and it probably will be better (if you can hold the camera steady enough that is )

Well, I almost feel the movie-mode alone is worth the cost of it....seems to give extremely good quality movies, and the 10x zoom is almost like a binocular, very cool and fun I guess.
So if the image-quality is a little worse than other regular digital-cameras around the same price I dont think its a big deal.
As long as it looks ok and it doesn't have BIG problems with focus or other things....
Old Apr 4, 2004, 6:07 PM   #15

Thanks for the tip Seb, I will remember that the next time I take pictures. The movie mode in S1 is probably one of the best I've seen in digital cameras. However, Sanyo Xacti J4's video quality is pretty impressive too. The video's image quality looks really smooth, even at full screen. You can see a sample at this page. The colours look a little dull though.

Just a quick comparison:
S1 video
- avi format, 640 x 480 at 30fps
- uses motion jpeg compression
- ~2MB/s
- audio: 22050Hz, 16 bit Mono

J4 video
- quicktime format, 640 x 480 at 30fps
- uses photo jpeg compression (at 50% quality setting??)
- ~1.35MB/s
- audio: 7875Hz, 8 bit Mono

brouhaha
Old Apr 5, 2004, 7:21 AM   #16

Hey all,

I bought an S1 last week and have been enjoying it for the most part. My biggest problem with it has been the AF. It really struggles in low light and when doing a close-up of the kids. I too have found the image quality to be somewhat noisy. I've got another week before I can't return the camera so I'm going to keep trying it. But if I can't figure out how to get better AF out of it then it's going back.

tentatively happy,
jd_noodles out...
jd_noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 6:49 PM   #17

here is a sample from the S1 IS at full telephoto. it's compressed lots, down to under 300KB but it's alright because I want to point out something specific in the picture that exists in the original as well.

http://my.tbaytel.net/scaryf/temp/S1...y-problems.jpg

look at the white boxes where the movie names are listed around the middle of the picture. those are metal boxes and are perfectly rectangular and STRAIGHT. the lines are STRAIGHT, not wavy or deformed, yet they appear this way in full tele shots. Once you notice that, you will notice that the top of the building suffers from this as well. so does the metal railing on the bridge, and the top edge of the cement on the bridge. some of the vehicles in the picture also have this same problem. this comes up in all tele shots I took with this camera, not just this one.

maybe it's a defect with that particular camera, I don't know, but I hope so.

I'm beginning to think that this camera isn't going to do well, and Canon will say "well, guess noone likes 10x zoom image stabilized cameras" and not make any future upgraded models. if they can fix the problems people have been talking about, like adding a focus assist lamp, somehow cutting down on chromatic abberation, removing the freeze during focussing, letting you use the viewfinder or LCD while taking sequence shots so you can actually track a moving target, and fixing some othe things in a future model, it will do well. I've already emailed with with my problems, I hope they make plans to make a better camera in the future.

maybe I'm asking too much though. some people say "just buy an SLR" well, I don't want an SLR, I want a compact camera with good zoom and quality, not something I need a backpack to carry with me.
ScaryFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 9:22 PM   #18

Regarding the movie theater picture, perhaps the optical distortions are due to the environment. I can't tell for sure, but did you take this picture across a highway with car exhaust present? I see a car and a guard-rail.

Does the warping occur on other pictures as well?
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 12:36 PM   #19

Regarding CA/PF on the S1, maybe you should compare it to similar ultra zoom cameras instead of regular cameras in the same price-range.

As far as I know every damn 10x and above zoom camera has some CA/PF.

Just check these comparisons...shot under different conditions so maybe not 100% comparable but at least a hint.

S1 IS:
http://www.cyberphoto.se/bildexempel/s1is/IMG_0211.JPG

Dimage Z2:
http://www.cyberphoto.se/bildexempel/z2/PICT0003.JPG

Finepix S5000:
http://www.cyberphoto.se/bildexempel/s5000/DSCF0039.JPG

DX6490:
http://www.cyberphoto.se/bildexempel...0/101_0018.JPG

C760:
http://www.cyberphoto.se/bildexempel/c760/P1010012.JPG

FZ10: (does NOT look good here)
http://www.cyberphoto.se/bildexempel/fz10/P1020014.JPG

As you all can see, the S1 IS does not have very much CA/PF compared to these other similar high-zoom cameras.
This is what you should compare with, not regular cameras!