Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 27, 2004, 12:53 PM   #1

Default Canon S1 - Purple Fringing

DCPR review of the S1 stated that purple fringing is a problem. It is very difficult to see from the report as most photos have blue sea or sky at the edges.

Does any one actually have the S1 and can comment on how big an issue it is? Is t any worse than any UZ?

What I would really like to know is how it compares with the Panasonic FX10.

Thanks
GrahamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2004, 5:24 PM   #2

Default RE: Canon S1 - Purple Fringing

Hi GrahamG,
I've bought the S1 since one week and the purple fringe effect doesnít bother me so much.
Of course thereís some, especially near the photoís corners like this ( magnification 2 times ):

( the entire photo here - 1 583 Ko )
But on this picture thereís a very bad exposure cause by the unavoidable back lit in the middle of my 360į stitching series. On my other photos the chromatic aberration isnít so visible. Itís really an issue only in telephoto zoom mode. For example around the head of this squirrel ( 831 Ko )
I paid 525 euros ( in France ) for this 10x zoom so at this price Iím very satisfied.

Alban
(sorry if I butcher English )
alban_auzeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 6:41 AM   #3

Hi,

I've been looking closely at the sample pics for the S1. While I've been really impressed with the overall quality, the aberations do bother me. Is this normal for this type of camera? Are other cameras considerably better?
jd_noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 2:55 PM   #4

Thanks Alban, these shots make very useful reference points. What aperture did you use?

I have gone back and looked at Panasonic FZ10 enlargements, where there is back lighing, they all seem to show a similar level of CA - except where the aperrture has been closed down to F8.

It seems like its a compromise I will have to live with if I want an ultra zoom.
GrahamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 4:29 PM   #5

Default What about the "freeze" effect?

Hello!

Im just considering to purchase a S1, but in the full review of this camera I have seen that it "freezes" the live image during autofocus, which can make difficult to take pictures of moving objects. I usually photograph models (I own a cloth shop), do you think it could be dificult for me to shot pictures with this "freeze" effect?

At this moment I own a coolpix 885 camera, but I need an ultra-zoom one because Im not always on the 1st line. I have never seen this freeze effect on the nikon camera.

Thanks!!
juananxml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 4:12 AM   #6

What do people mean by "freeze during autofocus"???

1. Does it freeze while it tries to find focus, that is like all the time if you move the camera around?

2. Does it freeze when you take the actual shot (or half-press shutter)?

If #1 the camera would be all useless, so i guess its sort of #2 people mean. And in that case, if I want to pre-focus some area and wait for a specific action, will the display be freezed for minutes untill I decide to take the actual shot, or will it just freeze for a second or two, and then start to update again untill I change focus to something else?

I also asked in another thread that over 100 users read but noone answered. Does it autofocus during moviemode?

Thanks
Seb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 5:42 AM   #7

It freezes for a second or so only when you half-press. Once the focus is set, it will return to real time preview even if its still half-pressed. That applies for single autofocus. For continuous autofocus mode, it'll freeze at intervals if button is kept at half-press. So yes, you can pre focus the area you want to shoot. Focus is auto in movie mode.

brouhaha
brouhaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 10:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brouhaha
It freezes for a second or so only when you half-press. Once the focus is set, it will return to real time preview even if its still half-pressed. That applies for single autofocus. For continuous autofocus mode, it'll freeze at intervals if button is kept at half-press. So yes, you can pre focus the area you want to shoot. Focus is auto in movie mode.

brouhaha
Ok, thank you very much
I'm not used to manual cameras....what autofocus is most used?
Is it single autofocus that is most common and useful or?

Do you have one yourself and know for a fact that autofocus really works in movie-mode?
Old Apr 3, 2004, 6:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb74
Ok, thank you very much
I'm not used to manual cameras....what autofocus is most used?
Is it single autofocus that is most common and useful or?

Do you have one yourself and know for a fact that autofocus really works in movie-mode?
Yes, I do have this camera but it's my first and I'm totally new to photography. A correction to what I said earlier, the continuous focus does autofocus continuously without having to press anything. But the freeze still happens when you half press.

I guess continuous autofocus is better for tracking moving subjects and the manual states that it can be more power consuming than single autofocus.

I'm pretty sure the movie works in autofocus and I don't think you can use manual focus in this mode. When the manual focus is button is pressed, it locks the current focus instead. I will check on this. Here's a compressed divX sample (sorry, I don't have much space to host the file). Its zoomed at a very close range, so the autofocus keeps readjusting.

Autofocus don't always work very well in contrasting background. Manual focus can help but it also depends on the background to focus correctly. In manual focus, the AF frame is zoomed in allowing you to adjust the focus. The zoom looks digital and pixelated so it can be hard to judge the sharpness at times. However, you can combine the use manual and autofocus to fine tune it.

Here's a shot(bad) which I tried to use autofocus on. The leaves get focused even though the AF frame was targetted on the bird. It flew away before I had a chance to manual focus
brouhaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2004, 3:30 AM   #10

Wow, thanks a lot
Posting vids and pics, thats great, thanks.

About the picture, I guess its hard using 10x zoom on those kind of targets cause the depth of field gets so small when zooming so much on close range. Strange though that it didn't lock on the bird.
I dont get it why cameras have to be so bad on auto-focus....is it really that hard to make a good autofocus? Well maybe it is I dont know

Anyway, do you think its a major problem? Does it often happen you have to delete pics that get all to blurry?
The camera seems great, but I guess these focusingproblems can be a pain in the ass sometimes....although probably all 10x zoom cameras have them, but almost no others have this great movie-mode and IS....

And I really dont get that continous autofocus mode and the display-freezing, I really dont.
I mean, with continous focus it always tries to obtain focus, no matter if you half-press or not. But then when you take the shot (or half press) it freezes. WHY WHY WHY???
It freezes cause it focuses the target, but thats exactly what it did before also all the time. I really dont understand...to make some sense it would constantly freeze during continous autofocus, whatever you do.
Do you get what I'm trying to say?

Oh, by the way, as someone else asked in some other thread, it would of course be really really great if you could use movie-mode (highest quality of course) and record directly to pc using USB, just like it says you CAN take pictures from pc and get them directly to harddrive and dont have to worry about the small card filling up.