Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 28, 2002, 11:35 AM   #1

Default Filters for G2

I just purchased a G2 (my first digital camera) and along with it ,Crystal View IR, and polarizing filters. I routinely keep an IR filter on my SLR for protection, etc and use the polarizer in outdoor shots.

I was surprised to find that the G2 does not have a threaded lense for filters and that I must use an adapter ring. That makes the whole thing rather clunky, if the adapter ring is left on routinely the camera profile becomes large, the standard lens cap doesn't fit, etc.

What is going on here, are filter just not commonly used with digital photograpy, Does anyone have any good solutions they have found?
porttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2002, 5:28 PM   #2

Default I don't use filters anymore

Hi Porttack,

(You a sailor?)

For what it's worth, in 35mm photography I always used to use filters... both skylight for protecting the lense and polarizing when needed. But in digital photography I just don't bother. That's not to say I wouldn't like to use them, but it's just plain too much trouble.

With the Canon G2 is that darned adaptor that's needed... I agree it makes the whole thing just too clunky. And I'm not sure about the Canon, but I've had other digitals which didn't calculate exposure through the lens, so putting on a polarizing filter was going to take extra exposure fiddling.

Nowadays I just do little adjustments in software.

I'm interested to hear what others do in this regard.

Tim
TD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2002, 6:58 AM   #3

Default Lens Adapters and quality issues

I also found it perplexing that the G2's lens was not already threaded at the front.

Steve makes a good argument for using a lens adapter, though. For one thing, you can use it to help support the camera when holding it. You can also add filters to the end of it, like a UV, polarizing, or skylight filter to protect the G2 lens. For me, that's enough reason to invest in one. But which: Canon's own (58mm), Lensmate's (49mm), or Tiffen's (43mm)?

[BTW, Lensmate sells a snap-on lens cap for the adapter (Canon does for their lens adapter, also).]

If you visit Lensmate's site (http://www.lensmateonline.com/) they show examples of why a lens adapter and some filters are still Very Good Things even in digital photography. (They did some cool stuff with an infrared filter on a G1 that is on their homepage.) They address the issues of the lens adapter blocking the viewfinder, as well as the adapter blocking the flash in some shots.

I'm personally wondering if there is an advantage in picture quality by going with filters attached to Canon's 58mm (a larger diameter) as opposed to Lensmate's 49mm (or the Tiffen's smaller 43mm diameter). is it likely vignetting or other distortions would occur with these smaller diameter lens attachments?

The one bonus I can see for using Canon's own lens adapter is the possible attachment of telephoto or wide-angle lenses, neither of which I have invested in. Right now, my main concern is to get the G2's lens protected by screwing a UV filter to the front of it (and that means selecting a lens adapter....

Anyone know whether the diameter of the lens attachment affects picture quality adversely? Thanks in advance...

Tony
weho90069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2002, 10:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally posted by weho90069

Anyone know whether the diameter of the lens attachment affects picture quality adversely? Thanks in advance...

Tony
No, not at all if the diameter of the filter is equal or larger the the diameter of the lens, try not to use the stepdown ring and try to sizedown to the smaller diameter filter.

Filters are great tools for the photographer, beside the lesn protection purpose, it will give us excellent results but sometimes it requires a great deal of skill and experience to apply and the understanding oof basic exposure to maximize the effect of the filter that we use. The important thing is to get the correct exposure and the right effect of the filter when you 're taking picture as much as you can, there're only so much you can do when you try to tweak or adjust the picture when using the computer, the same true on the other side, on film picture, in the darkroom because the latitude of the film. you can never get rig of filters, sometimes you will need them to produce the kind of picture you want, so we all will try to live and learn to use and have fun with them... cheers

[Edited on 8-29-2002 by [email protected]]
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2002, 3:12 PM   #5

Default filters

Thanks for the advice.

Yes I do sail (on Chesapeake Bay)
porttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2002, 3:24 PM   #6

Thanks, tuanokc --

I guess your answer begs the question of what the diameter of the Canon G2's lens is, and I couldn't find mention of that in the specs for the camera (at least, not on this website).

If the various lens adapters take filters sized at 58mm, 49mm, and 43mm respectively and if the manufacturers do not indicate that a step-down ring is needed to use filters, would it be safe to assume that the G2 lens is likely SMALLER than at least the narrowest diameter of the adapters (43mm)?

Thanks again,
Tony

[Edited on 8-29-2002 by weho90069]

[Edited on 8-29-2002 by weho90069]
Old Sep 3, 2002, 9:51 AM   #7

I dont have the G2, but I did take a look at this camera at the shop sometimes ago. I don't believe it has a front threat for the filter (correct me if I'm wrong). Canon should sell somekind of adapter to attach to the lens in order for you to use filter, plus if you buy their optional tele or wide angle lenses, use can attach filter on front of these lens as well. I have the Nikon 5000 and I can't attach any filter to the lens at all, but I bought the optional lenshood to protect the lens and buy the Nikon lens cap 62mm to replace the other, It works out for me. If you can not put a permanent filter on your lens, I do recommend at least use the lenshood. For my previous post I just want to mention the rule of thumb when you want to attach filter to nay camera.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2002, 6:33 PM   #8

You're right. The G2 lens does not have any front threads. Canon wants you to buy a lens adapter they sell in order to use filters on the G2. But you're not locked into just Canon products...

You unscrew an outer ring at the base of the G2's proprietary lens and can screw on Canon's lens adapter (LA-DC58) which takes Canon's tele- and wide-angle lens attachments (Canon also makes a close-up lens attachment for even more magnified macro work). The lens adapter's front thread is sized 58mm.

According to Canon, neither the tele- or wide-angle lenses take filters on the front. This is true. I just now received the Canon brand wide-angle lens; there are no front threads. So much for protecting these babies with a skylight or UV filter! At least it comes with a lens cap. Sheesh...

It's important to know that Canon's products are not the only way you can go with attachments.

I also ordered a Lensmate adapter (www.lensmateonline.com) which should be here in a couple days. This takes 49mm thread attachments. FIlters are more economical at this size (versus 58mm), and the Lensmate is made to look like it belongs on the camera with color and shaping to match the G2. It's not an eyesore.

You can shop around for filters and lens attachments to use with the Lensmate or the Canon lens adapter. The Lensmate website is nicely designed for one-stop shopping, featuring a variety of lens attachments useable with the Lensmate. Not to dissuade you from ordering filters from Lensmate, but once you have a Lensmate adapter The Filter Connection (www.2filter.com) can save you some bucks on the filters.

Over the weekend I had a chance to price the Tiffen lens attachments for the G2. Tiffen makes tele- and wide-angle lenses which are more economical than Canon's, though they thread on at a much smaller 43mm. Tiffen sells a stepping ring which converts the lens from 43mm to 49mm (but not to 58mm). Lensmate recommends that you use the Tiffen stepping ring to attach Tiffen lenses to the Lensmate.

A collapsable lenshood is a good idea -- thanks for mentioning it!