Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 29, 2004, 7:12 PM   #1

Default Canon A70 upgrade from my Nikon 990?

Have a Nikon 990 which has been a wonderful camera for me...but I am frustrated over the time delay between shots...and delays in focusing (particularly in dimly lit rooms). Would the Canon A70 do a better job for me?
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2004, 7:25 PM   #2

Default Or...Canon A75?

Would the Canon A75 provide better results that the A70 (again...compared to the Nikon 990)...
Old Mar 29, 2004, 9:53 PM   #3

No, I think if you liked the sharp photo taste output from 990 you should upgrade to at least A80. A70/A75 is a all-round fine camera but the biggest weakness compared with 990 is on A70/A75 the photo is not sharp enough due to extra post processing combating noise from small sensor pitch.

Also the nikon 990 has a swivel design I guess you could not live without it after years of usage. So get an A80 instead.
orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 10:26 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. You're suggesting that the A80 would provide better quality photos than the A70/75...and as good as what I'm getting with my Nikon 990? What about my concerns about delays focusing with the Nikon...would the Canon models provide noticeable improvement?

My concern with the Canon A80 would be the negative reviews on the low resolution of the digital viewfinder
Old Mar 30, 2004, 11:48 AM   #5

Either A70/A75 or A80 could easily beat nikon 990 (or even nikon 4500) in terms of speed. It is what canon's digic hype is for.

About the viewfinder worry, While I do think you *have* to get used to a smaller size LCD, it is sufficient for normal shooting or MF adjustments. It is a weakness of A80 over the 1.8" LCD in the upcoming A75, but as a nikon 990 user, I guess you would understand much more than anybody else how useful a swivel body / flipout LCD can be.

For me, nice & sharp photo quality and flipout LCD is the highest consideration when I was buying A80.
orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote