Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 1, 2004, 2:58 PM   #1

Default Does the canon g5s zoom lens really block?

Hi people.
Ive read in an article that the g5s zoom lens blocks about 1/5 of the viewfinder when at its full length (sorry for my bad english).
I find it to be very unlikely but i need to ask someone before ordering one of my own.
Thanks in advance
/Daniel from Sweden
Dannemannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2004, 3:28 PM   #2

I have the G3, which is identical to the G5 except that mine is a 4 megapixel camera versus a 5 megapixel.

To answer your question, yes. The lens barrel does block the lower left of the optical viewfinder when at it's full wide angle. But the optical viewfinder only shows you 85% of the picture you actually take at any focal length. I tend to primarily use the LCD most of the time anyway because of the battery both the cameras use; it lasts a long time.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 12:08 AM   #3

If you've ever shot a rangefinder camera the look is very familiar. Leica M cameras only show about the same percentage and yes, you see the front part of the lens through the viewfinder. That's why some of the lens shades have cut-outs in them, so you can see through them in the viewfinder. And just think, people like me have paid over $2K on Leicas for the privelige of such a view!

The view of the lens barrell is very minor since you're going to use the LCD most of the time in order to keep up with the exposure and mode information. I have a lensmate tube mounted on mine to get 52mm filter threads and/or mount a lens shade and protect the lens tube. With those accessories, the optical viewfinder is almost completely blocked.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 9:37 AM   #4

Ok, i guess i have to live with that then. Probably will use the LCD primarly as you mentioned.
Thanks !
/Dannemannen
Dannemannen is offline   Reply With Quote