tele it is in everypart of the image)
- Display freezes very long during AF
- very very poor lowlight AF
- images in indoor are quite noisy
- generally average quality images
abakik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2004, 6:34 PM   #2

I know that CA is Cromatic Abberation, but what is PF? I dislike acronyms since my brain doesn't seem to function properly 100% of the time and I'm stuck trying to think what some of them mean when it should be obvious to me.

I tried the S1 IS at work on monday, took some sample images, and at full telephoto I noticed one VERY big problem. straight lines like the edges of buildings, pefectly straight metal pipes, curved windows on cars, edges of cars, etc. seem to have hundreds of tiny little waves.

Here's one of the sample images I took, about 300KB in size. you notice it the most in the movie names. the boxes the names are in are metal and perfectly straight, but in these pictures they appear as if someone tried to draw them freehand. this was the deal killer for me. I was ready to live with the other problems you mentioned until I saw these sample images.

http://my.tbaytel.net/scaryf/temp/S1...y-problems.jpg
ScaryFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 7:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFast
I know that CA is Cromatic Abberation, but what is PF? I dislike acronyms since my brain doesn't seem to function properly 100% of the time and I'm stuck trying to think what some of them mean when it should be obvious to me.
I guess PF means purple fringing which is synonymous with Chromatic abberation.

Quote:
I tried the S1 IS at work on monday, took some sample images, and at full telephoto I noticed one VERY big problem. straight lines like the edges of buildings, pefectly straight metal pipes, curved windows on cars, edges of cars, etc. seem to have hundreds of tiny little waves.

Here's one of the sample images I took, about 300KB in size. you notice it the most in the movie names. the boxes the names are in are metal and perfectly straight, but in these pictures they appear as if someone tried to draw them freehand. this was the deal killer for me. I was ready to live with the other problems you mentioned until I saw these sample images.

http://my.tbaytel.net/scaryf/temp/S1...y-problems.jpg
I have not noticed such problems with S1 yet aside from the sharpness of the image. 300KB size image probably suggests that you are not shooting it at "Superfine Large" quality. They usually hit 900KB~2000KB. The camera is defaulted at "Large" quality" resulting in a lossier compression.

I suspect the image quality of S1 has alot to do with its compression, it might be better if raw format is available. It handles small wavery features very badly. i.e. small sea waves, fine grass, etc.

Not the best example but here's a cropped pic I took in comparision with 1X and 10X. Image is not modified besides the cropping and is taken handheld.
1X:

10X:

Hope this helps.
brouhaha
brouhaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 7:24 PM   #4

no no, I was shooting at superfine. I compressed it in photoshop to keep it at a decent size. the original has the problem too. maybe it is defective. wierd.
ScaryFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 8:01 PM   #5

Quote:
no no, I was shooting at superfine. I compressed it in photoshop to keep it at a decent size. the original has the problem too. maybe it is defective. wierd.
Hmm, then I don't know the reason to it. Maybe you can try to taking shots with a tripod and try using different settings. It's probably a camera fault if it happens in every scene. If possible, change an S1 and try it out again. Sorry I can't offer much help, I'm really new at this.

brouhaha
brouhaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 3:17 AM   #6

Actually I am very disappointed with IS,
and i dont think the problem that scaryfast mentined about is related to compression. it is due to the 10x zoom lens, even at fullwide angle almost every light edges of the photo have very noticable CA problem.
abakik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 8:43 AM   #7

But isn't some CA how its supposed to be with this large zoom?
I mean, there's no point comparing these type of cameras with regular 3x zoom around the same price. Even my old really crappy cheap 1.3 MP camera has almost no CA/PF at all, even on extreme pictures. Does that make S1 IS a bad camera just cause it shows CA/PF.

I wonder how good/bad it is compared to the real competition, and that is Olympus C-740, C-750, the new C-760, and yet to come C-765 (almost same as C-760) (and probably some other brands too).

I think C-750 has some problems, and lots of people are mad cause bad AF, just like the Canon. And the shots I've seen from C-760 does NOT look better...I think it looks maybe worse than S1 IS, at least not better, but I've only been able to compare like 3-4 similar shots so who knows.

Anyway, I guess these problems with straigh surfaces showing up all wavy must be a camera fault, if all S1 IS were like that they would have bashed it for real in the reviews I hope, I could never live with flaws like that thats for sure.
Seb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 8:52 AM   #8

Posted on another thread, but may be relevant here...

Regarding the movie theater picture, perhaps the optical distortions are due to the environment. I can't tell for sure, but did you take this picture across a highway with car exhaust present? I see a car and a guard-rail.

Does the warping occur on other pictures as well?
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote