Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 5, 2004, 7:18 PM   #1

Default Canon 75 vs. 80?

Alright, with the release of the A75, does anyone have an opinion on which one is the better buy? I'm new to digital cameras and photography, and want something that's easy to use but will allow me enough options to grow. Obviously the A75 and A80 allow me to do all this.

However, I'm not familiar enough with digital cameras to know what the important differences are between the two of them. I know there's some difference in the zoom, but is there going to be any real difference in picture quality? How about functions? Is there anything one can do that the other can't?

I'm sorry for the stupid newbie questions, but I've done as much research on these cameras as I can, and I'm trying to figure out if there's anything I've over looked. I'm leaning towards the A75, but I'm trying to figure out if there's some reason I should go for the A80.

Also, any other cameras in this price range that offer the same funcationality I might want to look at? I refuse to use xD cards, but CF or SD are fine.

Thanks for the help.
INCyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2004, 10:14 AM   #2
AMG

I am surprised no one has answered you as the A75 is 3.2 megapixel and the A80 is a 4 megapixel, so they are not in the same class, you should compare the A75 to the A70
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 8:42 PM   #3

I would hardly call the A75 and the A80 in two different classes. I mean, just how much larger of a photo does 0.8 megapixels get you?

For us, the deal was sealed with the fact that the A75 has a date imprint function that no other Canon A-series seems to have. Also, I appreciate the larger LCD screen on the A75. Currently, the A75 is quite a bit cheaper than the A80, too.
manavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2004, 6:05 AM   #4

The swivel LCD on the A80 means that, like on a video camera, you can always angle it to get a better view. But it does more than this. Hold the camera down at waist level or above your head for a different angle - the swivel LCD means you can still see what you're shooting. Take a self-portrait with the LCD turned right round. Put the camera on a tripod and angle the LCD up - no more crouching down to see what you're shooting ! Candid shots are easier too. Try standing sideways at 90degrees to your subject, point the camera to your right or left, and angle the LCD towards you. Who will ever guess you're taking a picture when you're not even facing towards them ?!

All these things are impossible with the A70/75. The photographic possibilities with the A80 are therefore much greater. Be creative and get the A80 !

Rose
Romy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2004, 11:17 PM   #5

Default A75 over A80

I chose the A75 over the A80....and have been very happy with it. 3 MP is PLENTY of resolution for most home digital shots. When I saw how small that lcd viewer was on the A80, I was convinced...Some may scoff at the .3 inch difference...but the lcd viewer on the A75 "looks" and feels much bigger. ..and much more comfortable. I also had read that the resolution on the lcd was quite a bit higher on the A75...

You should really find a shop that has both models so you can see for yourself. It really boils down to personal preference. Some users are really high on the moveable lcd on the A80. Wasn't that big a deal to me...but "different strokes for different folks"!
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2004, 12:17 AM   #6

There are several reasons why I purchased the A75 over the A80, and the first one is the larger LCD screen.

The A75 also has:

2.) A wider zoom (35mm vs. 38mm)

3.) 640X480 video mode

4.) The new Postcard (1600x1200) mode with 3:2 ratio for making 4x6" prints, which is what I print 99% of the time.

I do like the idea of being able to turn the screen in towards the camera, for protection.

Maybe in the future (A90 A95 etc) this larger screen will be articulated as well.
DaveTv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 11:32 AM   #7
AMG

DAve, 1200 by 1600 is not 3:2. It is still 3:4, which is one reason I have not yet bought a camera
Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:37 PM   #8

Well, it does not actually take the picture in 3:2 mode, but it shows you what part of the image will print in 3:2 mode. Not really what I would call an ideal function, but it does allow you to frame the subject properly.

This is from the Canon web site...........

Quote:
Postcard Print Mode
If you choose this mode, you can shoot images with settings, the resolution locks to M1 (1600x1200) and the compression locks to the (Fine) setting, appropriate for postcard size printing. When printing standard image data to postcard size, sometimes the top, bottom and sides may not get printed. By shooting images in the Postcard Print mode, you can check the printing area (vertical/horizontal ratio of 3:2) beforehand. Moreover you can embed the date on image data when is selected.
DaveTv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 11:45 AM   #9
AMG

yeah I think I knew that already, but if I am not mistaken, and I may be, there are some cameras that can take in 3:2