Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 8, 2004, 1:48 AM   #1

Default Pro 1 vs. A2

I have been a Canon man for years and hasten to desert my brand, but I must admit I am intrigued by the Minolta A2. (Anti shake, 3:2 framing, automatic switching between screens.) Can anyone offer an accurate comparison to the Pro1 based on image quality -- particularly with regard to noise? Thanks so much.
Nugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2004, 8:42 AM   #2

Popular Photography did a very good test on the A2 with a fairly obvious result. The A2 should be a great existing light shooter with the built-in stabilization, but excessive noise at any setting above ISO 100 was disappointing. BIG SURPRISE!! People have been complaining about noise problems in 5 megapixel cameras like the Canon G5 (which I happen to own and like very much). Now the makers are taking the same size imagers and cramming 3 million more pixels onto it. No wonder the noise levels are higher. Pixel technology has not advanced far enough to add that much more information and make images as clean or cleaner than the preceeding 5 million megapixel cameras. There are times I use ISO 200 or 400 on my G5 for creating certain effects, but I'd never think of using them for general shooting. I can only imagine what the noise looks like on the A2 at those settings.

If you never plan to shoot above ISO 100 and don't want to mess too much with any post processing the A2 is probably a very good choice. If you want to shoot at high ISO's and are interesting in ultimate image quality at the higher ISO settings you're better off spending almost the same amount of money on a Digital Rebel outfit with the included zoom and very clean images as high as ISO 800.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 8:50 AM   #3

i now own both.......i made my choice for the Pro1 first, because i need a camera that is accurate in focusing, image detail, and exposure.
why then did i buy the A2?
because i need a camera that will get carried around for my work, and focusing accuracy isn't priority........
MichaelL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2004, 11:32 PM   #4

[quote="Greg Chappell"] " Now the makers are taking the same size imagers and cramming 3 million more pixels onto it. No wonder the noise levels are higher. Pixel technology has not advanced far enough to add that much more information and make images as clean or cleaner than the preceeding 5 million megapixel cameras. "

Greg ,
The CCD on a Canon G5 = 1/1.8. ........................
The CCD is larger on all 8 Meg Digicam's = 2/3-inch.
John G.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote