Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 9, 2004, 5:46 PM   #1

Default Canon S1 IS: no macro?

Now that I have my nice new S1 IS in hand, I realize that there might have been one feature I forgot to check on that I just loved from my old Casio QV8000SX: macro mode! I haven't seen anything on the camera or in the documentation! Am I missing something or is it just not there?!

With the Casio I used to have (an 8x opt zoom to this Canon's 10x) I use to be able to get within maybe 15mm or maybe even less and take some amazing macro shots! I bought a 1.5x wideangle which had a detachablemacro lens and it enable the camera to take amazing 16x macro shots! Boy, I'll miss having that feature... tell me its not missing on the Canon

jason
mmboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2004, 11:56 PM   #2

Quote:
The PowerShot S1 is somewhat unique, in that it doesn't have a macro mode that you can turn on and off. Even so, you can still take closeup shots, with a minimum distance to the subject of 10 cm at wide-angle, and 93 cm at telephoto.
DaveTv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2004, 5:03 PM   #3

Hmmm I wouldn't call that a decent "macro" mode. Note what I said about the Casio: that wasn't 15cm it was 15mm, as in 1.5cm. Ah well, bummer. I used to do these bizzare shots of light coming through transluscent fruit with the camera in macro mode practically on the subject...

ok hold that thought...

I just went to widest shot and put my camera up to the keyboard. Although its not like my older Casio, I think your quote utterly underrated the ability of this camera. I shot this with the camera about 10cm at most away from the keyboard. This is an original size (2048 w/ superfine), just cropped.

OK, its not 1.5cm. I used to be able to get whole images filled up with 3 letters from "In God We Trust" on a small coin! Maybe the wacky light-thru-fruit photo industry might suffer. But I'm happy enough

jason
mmboost is offline   Reply With Quote