Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 17, 2004, 6:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adwulf
The rest is bulls....
Olympus c765 is not for sale before the end of April!
It's sold in canada or something already.
aliquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 4:33 AM   #12

Yeah, its out in Canada since a while.

Anyway, I dont know if I would feel much comfortable trying the S1 (or any other camera out) in a store. I mean, they are keeping an eye on you and other customers are around and you feel everyone is waiting for you to be finished and make up your mind.....very hard to get a good feeling for what the camera can and can't do I believe.

And I dont think any stores in Sweden let you buy the camera and play around a few days just to return it and get all money back....I can't even imagine that but who knows.

And if so many complains its bad, and it has ruined lots of shots and they cant even shoot their kids or dogs or whatever cause its AF is so bad, well then it doesn't feel very right to go buy one. I mean, they cant make this stuff up....there must be some truth to it I guess, and I rather have a fast camera.

Well well, only time can tell I guess....waiting for C-765 however long it may take (may sometime in Sweden).
Seb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 6:32 AM   #13

seb74: you are from sweden? komplett.se has it already, allthought i would order from technikdirekt, mediacheckpoint or ny-camera instead due to over stupid 25% vat. The 25% vat doesn't work since we joined EU, we should lower it since this only makes me buy the camera from another country and the money ends up there instead of here. 15% on regular items, 0% on food would make it ;D

I've read even more now, there seem to be a lots of complaints on the sharpness of the canon images, and i don't like them myself either...
There is also the new sony w1 which should be almost like a v1, but the price difference is only 300SEK and it lacks a lot of functions from the v1, so that one isn't an option.
Someone at fotosidan had bought the casio exlim pro ex-p600 and seem to like a lot, it's "only" 4x zoom, but it starts of at 33mm on the wide end instead of 38, got 6mp, you can browse thru 100 images in 10seconds and it also takes 640x480 30fps movies.

I hate this, no camera is convincing... Maybe the panasonic fx10 is a good choice but it's even bigger
Old Apr 18, 2004, 8:15 AM   #14

Wow, Komplett is too expensive. Both Cyberphoto and Fotokungen will sell it for under 4000kr....
Cool it seems to have arrived to Sweden though, but I bet it will take a few more weeks untill every store has it.

FZ10 takes crappy pictures from what I've seen, and its huge.
Will check that Casio out though, even though its a brand I dont know if I can trust as a camera-maker but I dont know.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 8:24 AM   #15

Well, all this complains about the s1 image quality make me doubt it's my next camera.. the kyocera 410 takes very ugly pictures. The s7000 got good enough price but i dunno. The c-765 costs 3700 sek, the fz10 5500 sek. I like the pictures from the fz10 i've seen and it's got image stabilizer but the price is to much.

So either i go with the c-765 even thought it has no image stabilizer or i have to find another camera with less zoom since the zoom on the c-765 isn't useful anyway. Comments?
Old Apr 18, 2004, 8:56 AM   #16

Priset på Olympus Camedia C-765 har gått ner!
Kikade technikdirekt nu och den kostar 385 euro eller 3493 sek.
Så jag lägger nog en beställning nu och försöker vara nöjd och glad

s1 is verkar ju sämre o kostar 4400, fuji s7000 har massor med brus men är kanske trevligare, dock 1300kr dyrare med sina 4800... och panasonic fz10 kostar 2000kr mer för bildstabiliseringen med sina 5500... så tja, alternativen är få om man vill ha zoomen. Tror inte man kan zooma i filmläget osv men man får väl skita i film helt enkelt. Bra foton borde den ju ta iaf. Fungerar ju med en a80 också men det skiljer 300kr så nej, det blir nog c-765.

Beställd... 256MB xd-kort kostade 99 euro så det var ju rätt ok pris med. Tog även med en canon i865 i beställningen , återkommer med testfoton om du inte har köpt någon sen.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 2:04 PM   #17

Wow, fan vad schysst med testbilder sen då, verkligen

Better take it in english by the way or someone might get mad and lock it down (if there are moderators in here I dont know lol)

I dont like the FZ10 cause its size, its price, and it seems to have lots of cromatic abberation, much more then the competition.
Check this picture for example:

http://www.cyberphoto.se/bildexempel/fz10/P1020014.JPG

But wow, very cool you bought one directly, I would never dare lol, but I have my old (although crappy) camera so I can wait a few more weeks.

Would also never dare to buy from outside the country, so I'll have to pay 500kr more or so, but thats not a very big deal though.

Hope you'll like the camera and that you can answer lots of questions later
Do you know when its expected to be delivered?

By the way, my main concern about the IS is the noise and the slow AF, and the freezing display when locking....I dont think the Olympus will have any of those, but might have quite a bit of cromatic abberation but hopefully not so much its not usable...
Old Apr 18, 2004, 2:19 PM   #18

well, i dunno what to do, hopefully i don't have to regret it, even thought i would hate if the ccd is very noisy (c-750 isn't that perfect either...), it lacks the is and the movie mode is not as good. But what to do? all of them seem to suck , 3500sek for the c-765, to get the s1 is you have to pay 900sek more and then you don't get the same amount of details, and to get something close and with image stabilizer you are going for the fz10 for 5500, but people complain on that one also.

Hopefully the AF is ok on the c-765 due to the new processor.
Regarding freezing i thought all cameras without an optical viewfinder did that?

"but might have quite a bit of cromatic abberation"
Uhm? why do you think that? does it say that anywhere? i thought the images at some boats looked a little weird, i thought the objective in the c-765 was supposed to be better than the one in the canon? do i have to regret this?

http://www.cyberphoto.se/bildexempel/c750/P1010001.JPG
isn't that on full tele? doesn't look that bad does it?
http://www.cyberphoto.se/bildexempel/s1is/IMG_0211.JPG
doesn't look that bad either, should i cancel the order? wtf, there are no other camera to get are there? hate this
Old Apr 18, 2004, 3:04 PM   #19

Well, I mostly meant that all affordable ultra-zoom cameras have cromatic abberation, thats the main problem with all those cameras.
And since this C-765 is extremely cheap it might not be the best in that regard, but on the other hand Olympus have been making cameras like this for some while now and might know how to deal with it.

I really hope its a good camera, and if it has some flaws it doesn't matter much cause it is so extremely cheap for a fully manual 10x zoom with good movie-mode and great display/EVF, and I heard its supposed to be fast on AF and that is really great in that case
Old Apr 18, 2004, 3:10 PM   #20

I can say that if the camera has a bit of cromatic abberation, but thats the only drawback, then I would be happy, cause there are ways around CA (high aperture or just avoid very high contrast-pictures) but a slow AF of very noisy pictures or bad low-light displays....thats not as fun to live with.

By the way someone said somewhere in a forum that Canon is the only brand that has the freezing during AF-lock, no other cameras are like that. Dont know if its true, but I hope so
Over at dpreview I think it was...