Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 12, 2004, 4:42 AM   #1

Default About S1 IS

Hi
Can any S1 IS's owner tell me what is true or false?

1) Steve wrote about EVF and/or LCD:
"Both were easy to use in conditions of low ambient light because they "gain-up", or intensify, the live image. "

Jeff (DCResource) wrote:
"Unlike some other cameras, the S1 doesn't brighten the image on the screen in dim light, making it very

hard to see what you're looking at.
Some cameras boost the signal on the EVF in low light, but the S1 isn't one of them. "

2) Steve about zoom motor:
"...Its operation is fast, too fast in fact, it was difficult to stop the zoom action at the desired focal length on

the first attempt, usually requiring 2 or 3 touches of the zoom lever to precisely compose the image. "

Camera User Guide p.27:
"The speed at which the magnification change is determined by the way the zoom lever is turned.
Turning the zoom lever in one swift movement completely to the right/left enables fast zooming.
For slow zooming, slowly turn the zoom lever halfway."
Adwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2004, 2:55 PM   #2

I'm not too sure about the LCD/EVF adjusting for low light, but I do know that the zoom has 2 speeds. if you slightly press the zoom switch it sloooowly zooms, and if you press it all the way it zooms super fast.

unfortunately I wouldn't reccomend this camera. the images I've seen from it have been pretty bad quality and it has other downsides like the freezing screen during focus and bad low light focus too.
ScaryFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 1:39 AM   #3

Thanks for your replay.
I've read 4 professional tests and everyone has a very high opinion of this camera. Where did You find these bad pictures?

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s1is.html
http://www.cyberphoto.se/
http://www.akamera.no/art.php?artikkelid=6415
I suppose You don't understand swedish but You can check the pictures.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 5:33 PM   #4

LCD/EVF adjust: It does infact brighten. I just tested it. Now, no pun intended, its not night & day But it does do it. I took a box with one side towards light and another away. I focused on the bright side and then rotated the camera to point at the dark side and *voila* it brightened. It also dutifully darkened when going back to the brighter side.

Zoom: does in fact have 2 speeds. I just tested it. 2 speeds system applies for both W and T.

Related to the EVF thing... I have been having trouble focusing in certain circumstances. This might be a mix of full zoom and low-ish light. But I'm not sure yet if there's something else I'm not doing right. As for picture quality, I'll try to do some comparisons. I wasn't too happy at first but I haven't really looked and I haven't really played with image quality settings yet.

jason[/b]
mmboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2004, 3:05 AM   #5

I got my S1 yesterday and I could test it.
Zoom: as You said, a light push and it will slow down the speed. Not easy but useful.
Low speed at movie.

I tested EVF in very low conditions: tha AF was working quite well and I could see what I was shooting withou any problem.

I suppose that our reviewrs are too busy for check every detail.
Old Apr 15, 2004, 9:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adwulf
I got my S1 yesterday and I could test it.
Zoom: as You said, a light push and it will slow down the speed. Not easy but useful.
Low speed at movie.

I tested EVF in very low conditions: tha AF was working quite well and I could see what I was shooting withou any problem.

I suppose that our reviewrs are too busy for check every detail.
What? So now the S1 is good (or at least ok) at autofocusing in low light, and also the EVF is usable in low light?

Not easy to know who you should trust
Seb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 4:01 PM   #7

I've just tested it in a store but i think the af is quite slow.

I've compared images with the c-750 because i'm thinking about getting an c-765 or the s1 is, and the c-750 seem to take sharper images, if it wasn't for that fact i would definitly go for the s1 but now i dunno... maybe i get an a80 just because all cameras suck anyway

(I've read on the s1 review here at steves that it takes about 1 second to get a photo, 2/10 of a second if you already got focus of which 1/10 is due to the image beeing viewed on the lcd. So I suppose that means af time is around 0.8 seconds, the z2 for example is 0.3-0.4s)
aliquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 12:53 PM   #8

Yeah, slow AF can probably be a real pain in the ass...I want a fast camera damn it

Well, from what I've heard on other forums where people have tried the C-765 it is really FAST, and they say it has great display and EVF.
So, if it doesn't take all too crappy pictures I will buy one....if its pictures are worst than the S1 then I dont have a clue what to do lol....maybe A70 plus tele-objective or something I dont know

Edit: Haha, it auto-censored my post....just check the first row
Cool
Seb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 2:46 PM   #9

To Seb74
The only way to be satisfied is that You test the S1 by yourself.
I sold my Z1, bought an S1 and I can't notice a big difference between them.
I don't know what people mean with "low light conditions" and which camera is working in this conditions.
As I said. Borrow a camera or try S1 in some shop.

The rest is bulls....
Olympus c765 is not for sale before the end of April!
Old Apr 17, 2004, 6:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb74
Well, from what I've heard on other forums where people have tried the C-765 it is really FAST, and they say it has great display and EVF.
So, if it doesn't take all too crappy pictures I will buy one....if its pictures are worst than the S1 then I dont have a clue what to do lol....maybe A70 plus tele-objective or something I dont know
Oh, I haven't seen any reviews and it's not available in sweden any... damn i hate this because if it's good it makes the choice harder ;D
Imho the c-750 takes better images than the s1 if you look at dcresources pictures. But on the other side the weather was different.
aliquis is offline   Reply With Quote