Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 15, 2004, 11:28 PM   #1

Default How's the S1 movie mode ?

Hello

Right now I have the Canon S1 at the top of my "Buy" list. I'm more than impressed with the 10x zoom and "IS" feature and have heard some positive things about the "movie mode". I know that this is considerd a "add-on" feature but for us somewhat important.

To make a long story short we just recently lost our dog ( a shepard) of 11yrs last week. She would howl and "talk" to the other dogs all the time. We never got to capture her in movies or sound. Only on film. We have three of dogs dear to us and I promised my wife we'll have recorded memories of them.

We can't get both a camera and minicam now. The camera is better now since we're going to NY in June. I've seen plenty of stills but not much on the movie mode. So I'm asking - please how is it and the overall impression of the S1 ?

Thanks - Kenny j.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2004, 2:57 PM   #2

I think it's very good, http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...s/mvi_1871.avi
aliquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 10:20 PM   #3

Default How's the S1 movie mode

The movie mode works great. However, the playback quality can vary from pc-to-pc. On my home box (built for gaming/multimedia) the quality appears much higher than on my work machine. Also, Canon placed the mic on the back of the cam - so if you are shooting video and using the viewfinder, the mic can pick up the sound of your breathing. This problem is corrected if you hold the cam away from your body and use the lcd instead of the viewfinder. I recommend purchasing the Hitachi 2gig microdrive if you plan on shooting 640x480 fine video. You will also want the optional AC adapter (which is difficult to find), since downloading a gigs+ worth of video will suck a fresh set of NiMh batteries dry in just a few minutes.
PhotoNuB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 10:59 PM   #4

Is it true that if I get a 4gb micro drive that I can only record 1gb of movie???
franlofter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 5:16 AM   #5

Default Re: How's the S1 movie mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoNuB
You will also want the optional AC adapter (which is difficult to find), since downloading a gigs+ worth of video will **** a fresh set of NiMh batteries dry in just a few minutes.
Uhm, no, you want a usb 2.0 card reader and it wont use any batteries at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by franlofter
Is it true that if I get a 4gb micro drive that I can only record 1gb of movie???
I don't think anyone would make up such a thing. But how often do you film more than 7-8 minutes of action in a row anyway?
aliquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 7:06 AM   #6

Aliquis wrote:

Quote:
Uhm, no, you want a usb 2.0 card reader and it wont use any batteries at all
You're right. I think Ritz camera even bundled the reader with the cam at no extra charge. I just get a little worried about extra wear-and-tear on the m-drive by handling it, but that's probably a non-issue. Thanks for the tip! ops:
PhotoNuB is offline   Reply With Quote