Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 16, 2004, 7:56 PM   #1

Default Canon Pro1 problem w/ dust getting inside of lens

I just purchased a new Canon Pro1 and used it for one day. At the end of the day, I noticed a bunch of dust getting sucked inside the lens, since there was no way of cleaning it I returned it to the store. The salesman said they had only sold about a half dozen, but this was the second one returned for the same problem. They gave me a new camera in box unopened and before I left I examined the new camera and it too had dust inside. Unfortunately I had to get my money back. Does canon have an issue here? Are these chips inside the camera statically charging the dust and causing some type of vacuum?
honeywell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2004, 12:00 AM   #2

I had the same problem with the first Pro 1, I returned it to the store, they replaced with another one, and since then, I have no problem, but may be one of the quality control issue that Canon should tak e a look. If anyone is going to buy the Pro 1, be sure to take the camera out of the box, check the lens before take it home.

Cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 12:45 AM   #3

well that is pretty weird.....that isn't gonna work! was it showing up in the shots? did you see it being sucked into the lens? where was it getting sucked in?

weird.....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 9:23 AM   #4

No, like I said, it's the quality control issue, dust inside the lens, right off of the box from the mfg, this is not the problem when you take the camera out to shoot, then end up with dust getting inside, no problem with that. The problem is: yon can't clean them out even if you want too, remember, for P/S camera, lens is unattachable. Just be-sure check out the lens by remove the lens cap, look through under the good lighting condition, if the lens is clean, then you can take the camera home.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2004, 5:56 PM   #5

Well, I decided to give it one more try and buy another canon pro1 from microcenter b/c they are running 20% off all digi cams, which saved me a couple hundred from my first purchase. There was no dust in the cam , but after using it for 3 days, and hooking the cam up to my tv to view pics, after viewing pics i examined the lens and again there was dust inside . The only thing that i can figure out is that I had the camera on my carpet while the pics were showing on my tv. Maybe, by having it there and while it is on, somehow there is some type of static electricity building up in the lens w/ dust or something around the cam and carpet. I did this also w/ my first purchase. Obviously, there is something wrong here. bummed, b/c after owning the G3 and G5, I really like how easy it is to operate this camera.

Old May 21, 2004, 6:27 PM   #6

Old May 21, 2004, 10:55 PM   #7

more info on this dust issue

http://www.powershotpro1.com/forum/f...ID=19&PN=1
Old May 24, 2004, 12:51 AM   #8

It appears that the dust issue on the Pro1 is more problematic than firstthought. I spoke to a Canon rep unofficially who said you must keep the barrel clean. The dust may be entering the lens assembly from the gap between the barrel and the zoom ring. Since the zooming process extends the barrel a considerable amount, any dust on the barrel gets sucked inside and may not get out.
Jon S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 3:30 PM   #9

If you look at this picture of the lens assembly, it is obvious that there is a straight path from the outside lens barrel to the back of the assembly which then leads directly to the back of the front lens. If thereis nothing sealing any areas of the lens, then dust can contaminate the inside of the lens assembly. Since the camera uses an USM to zoom in and out, it would be difficult to seal the area without putting added stress on the motor which could shorten its life due to added friction.

Attached Images

Jon S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 6:38 PM   #10

I was just wondering what the white speck was behind my fixed lens on my Pro-1..........Wish I would have bought the Rebel now because you know over a couple of years the dust problem will get worse.
page54 is offline   Reply With Quote