Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 18, 2004, 1:04 PM   #1

Default Canon Pro1 - Default sharpness causing halos

I've had my Pro1 for a week now and found a few problems I'll share (no, dust is not one of them). I do landscape photography as a hobby so this camea seemed like it had just the right set of features. After one week I still think it's a great camera but you have to take into account its quirks.
1. The default sharpness setting puts halos around high contrast small objects. My photos of a canyon with hawks circling above made them look like they were having a spiritual experience. Even the sharpness adjustment in the camera when set to "Weak" was too strong. You need to shoot in RAW, then change the setting in Canon's RAW Image Tool. A setting of 0 or 1 works well.
2. It only stops down to f8, and since you _really_ need to use ISO 50 for a quality image, it limits your options when trying for maximum depth of field.
3. The lens glass sticks way out and looks like a magent for rocks and other objects in the field. I put a UV filter on it right away. A screw on rubber lens hood replaced the ineffective Canon lens hood.
It certainly won't replace my medium format film camera for really big prints, but 99% of what I print is 8x10 or less so this works great.
phill.simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2004, 10:08 PM   #2

sounds like you have a defective camera.........is it an early serial number?.......such as 822100xxxx?

there have been a bunch returned with problems.......my 1st Pro1 is under this number and aside from a cluster of stuck pixels, it would not extend the lens when asked to do so in the menu when setting it for the teleconverter, nor would the icon change when using the orientation setting.........plus there was vignetting in all 3 corners and soft areas of which the replacement does not.
in fact, the new one is ser. #832110xxxx and there have been some obvious tweaking to the Pro1........namely the auto focus is faster, and focus's better in low light with full zoom.
there are no more vignetting in the corners, and i see a sharp frame from edge to edge.
the zoom ring is also much tighter and moves the zoom in a more linear fashion.........
but to the question at hand, i never saw halos when using jpeg, and comparing the jpegs to RAW revealed that the picture weren't being oversharpened at all, but they were clear and contained much detail.
MichaelL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 8:52 AM   #3

1. I have no problem at all, you should go to the store and try out another one, the default setting is ok, still soft compare to others such as the Sony, Minolta, Nikon, Plympus. The Olypmus setting is one of the best in the group.

2. Due to the design of small lens for small image chip pf P/S camera, F/8 is pretty much the limitation of the minimum aperture, however, the effect of F/8 should have the same effect as F/16 on a SLR, this is not really an issue, you have plenty DOF if you shoot at F/8.

3. Well, nothing is perfect, but I can live with that, except I do not undertand why Canon enginneers designed a lens that you can not put on the lens cap and the lens hood of the same time. I use the provided filter adapter, put on a super multicoated filter, and use the Canon 58mm lens cap and throw back to the box the inconviennece provided lens hood. I have not find a metal WA scew in lens hood for my pro 1 yet...
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 11:16 AM   #4

Tuanokc,
The bottom line for me is <<<Image Quality>>>and I don't want to spend days on processing RAW images from a 3 week trip.
I've seen the image samples from Steves and he makes great effort to capture the scene at same time of day for both cameras>>>KUDOS>>>to Steve's Digicams and all his helpers.
My local stores don't have the C-8080 yet. Circuit City is online order so I can't have a hands-on look to pop in a card and give it a whirl at the store.
IYO, since you have both the Pro1 & the C-8080 which one would you pick ?
Thanks
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 12:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G.
Tuanokc,
cameras>>>KUDOS>>>to Steve's Digicams and all his helpers.
Thanks
same praise for Steve as well.......i used his samples and some trust for deciding on the Pro1 and a comparison idid with the A2...........for once, my image results mirror Steve's samples.

thanks Steve
MichaelL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 1:11 PM   #6

I actually had 3 of the new 8 megapix cameras from Sony, Canon and Oplympus. My most favorite to carry with me when I travel now is the Olympus, super image, excellent results, better handling and the super macro mode works better than the other two. The ED zoom lens came with the Oly is 28-140mm, F/2.4 to F/3.5, a little shorter on the telephoto end but is a perfect range for travel, performed better also, filter size 58mm, need no adapter and can fits on the lens together at the same time with the provided lenshood and everything else is functionning the way is suppose to, logically, you will love the instant view button of this camera and other direct control buttons.

I'm selling the Sony now but will keep the Pro 1, I still like the compact size of the camera plus the large LCD is a plus, however, it doesn't look good in bright light as the Olympus and the Sony.
Anyone in need of the Sony 8 megaoix camera, new, in box, with the new HVL-F32X flash and Sony wide strap, shoot me an email @ [email protected], and I will offer you a good deal you can't refuse.

I do recommend you try out the Olympus C8080 at the store first, and then make the final decision. I bought the C8080WZ at newegg.com for $778 including free addittional 2 years warranty and free fedex shipping (3days), no tax. They also have better price for the Canon pro 1 also, great services, the price dropped $20 after I ordered the camera, I email the company, and the credited my account to refund the $20.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 3:49 PM   #7

Default Halo effect

My camera is in the #832110xxxx serial number series, so it's not the earlier problem version. I did some experimenting using the photoshop filters on an unsharpened image to see if I could duplicate what the Canon sharpening does. I could, by using "Unsharp Mask" and running the percent out to about 100%. The problem only shows up on very small high contrast objects, and since I want 16 bit resolution anyway, using RAW is not an issue.

I am beginning to see a dust problem. Not too bad yet but I've only been out in the field taking pictures for a few hours on a couple of days - not a good sign. With the extension of the lens everytime I use the telephoto, I can see how it would be sucking a lot of air/dust into it. I can only hope they have some kind of fix for it by the time I need to send it in for cleaning. Anyone have any experience with how Canon handles these kind of quality problems?

One significant problem I do see is the way digital cameras handle areas with fine texture in the middle distance (100-500 yards) such as small leaves, pine needles and grass. It's especially noticeable after I convert to black and white in Photoshop. The texture tends to get averaged out by adjacent pixels in the camera so the leaves on a tree end up looking like a big blob, with no texture at all. When I looked closely at some film I had of similar scenes, I can see the leaves are a blob there too, but the grain of the flim makes it look like there's still some texture. So I added some noise/film grain to the affected areas and it came out looking OK. Anyone have any other good Photoshop CS tricks for dealing with the problem?
phill.simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 10:30 PM   #8

[quote="[email protected]"]

" I do recommend you try out the Olympus C8080 at the store first, and then make the final decision. "

Tuanokc,
Thanks for your feedback.....but like I said there is no retailer that has the C 8080 at the moment in my area.....Thanks again.
John G.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote