Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 19, 2004, 4:38 PM   #1

Default A75 with 2.4x teleconverter, will AF work?

I read something at some forum about AF not working if you had over 1.4x teleconverter (or something like that).
Maybe it was just a specific camera or converter, it was all very diffuse and hard for me to understand what the guys were talking about.

Any chance I must use only manual focus if I get a A75 with Canon's own 2.4x teleconverter or will AF definitely work also?

Thanks

Too bad by the way there are no teleconverters stronger than 2.4x. I would like one at 3x-4x or so...2.4x is a bit lame
Seb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2004, 10:34 PM   #2

Most telephoto lenses over 2X or so require to be focused manually. It's sort of like attatching a telescope to your camera.

So the answer to your question is yes and no: You must manually focus the telephoto lens (move the focusing ring until the picture in the LCD is sharpened as sharp as it will get), and then you half-press the shutter button and the AF will do the rest. There's a definite learning curve to it.
PacificJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 2:04 AM   #3

Hi,

I personally has experience with A80 and several tele converters. I think A70/A75 is alike. The use of Canon TC-DC52 2.4x tele converter will PRESERVE FULL AF ABILITY. That's why these kinds of tele converters are regarded as AUTO tele converters. The only concern for the A75-2.4x combo is only the last 3 zoom stops towards the tele end on A70/A75 can give you vignetting-free photos and it is an officially normal case.

The maximum power AUTO tele converter I have ever tried is the nikon TC-E3ED 3x. It gives sharp-to-the-edge photos and excellent color rendition. I sold my canon 2.4x and retained the nikon 3x. On A70+nikon 3x combo you also only have the last 3 zoom stops free of vignetting. But I could say the quality of nikon 3x is better than canon 2.4x as the center-cropped photo taken with vignetting are also tack sharp.

Rudolf.
orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 2:36 AM   #4

Ok, thanks
But that Nikon is qhite expensive in comparison, isn't it....

Well, hopefully it wont matter, cause I just realised that the C-770 isn't THAT expensive anyway cause there are 128MB included...and it has great movie-mode (so they say anyway).

So that, at least on paper, is the perfect camera for me. If it lets me down with some flaws I will probably go for A75 + converter but teleconverter and vignetting and mounting and unmounting it just doesn't seem as fun as having it all in the camera from the start (also 3x + 2.4x only gives around 7x and thats not very impressive either)
Old Apr 20, 2004, 2:36 AM   #5

Hi,

A little bit more information. When you use 2.4x tele with A70/A75/A80 the minimum focussing distance of the lens combo will increase. That means you need to stand a little further away from the object in order to do correct focussing. As I remember the minimum focussing distance for A80+2.4x in normal focussing mode is about 1.5m (depending on the optical zoom of the built-in lens), with macro mode you could drive a little nearer but not really too much to expect.

Rudolf.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 2:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb74
Ok, thanks
But that Nikon is qhite expensive in comparison, isn't it....

Well, hopefully it wont matter, cause I just realised that the C-770 isn't THAT expensive anyway cause there are 128MB included...and it has great movie-mode (so they say anyway).

So that, at least on paper, is the perfect camera for me. If it lets me down with some flaws I will probably go for A75 + converter but teleconverter and vignetting and mounting and unmounting it just doesn't seem as fun as having it all in the camera from the start (also 3x + 2.4x only gives around 7x and thats not very impressive either)
There are many users of C750 in Hong Kong. They all very satisfied with the quality and zoom capability of C750 and C770 (just don't take the C760 is ok ). Go for it!!
Old Apr 20, 2004, 2:05 PM   #7

http://olympus-imaging.jp/lineup/dig...ple/index.html

First C-770 pictures I've seen, and they are official from Olympus (I guess) so they should show the camera at its best (I suppose).

But what do you guys say about the last two pictures with the blue sky.....lots and lots of noise, or are 4MP cameras in this price-range supposed to look like that?
Comparisons to C-750, anyone?
Old Apr 21, 2004, 1:18 AM   #8

Due to 1/2.5" smaller CCD sensor size, all those camera using same sensor show similar photo quality. In fact those are not really noise. They are softness of photo due to excessive post processing algorithm targeted to avoid showing noise. The vendors understand small CCD sensor generates higher noise ratio so they applied more processing to smooth the photo. If you compare with canon A80's 1/1.8" CCD you will find that photos from A80 are sharper and has definite more details shown. It is sort of the same issue for A70/A75 and C750, but you won't notice them unless you always view your photos in original big sizes. Personally I like the canon post processing algortihms more. Nevertheless, C750/C770 is still a very good combination of quality and features.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 4:41 AM   #9

Yes I know about the CCD-sizes, but I dont know if thats the only thing that can bring "noise" like this.

But you say this looks about the same as C-750?
And since I know all people LOVE the C-750 (and also the A70/A75 as you mentioned) so I guess this is also a good camera then

IF, IF it has fast good working AF (which it is said to have) and good displays working in all conditions (people say that too) so maybe not much can be wrong with these new (C-770/C-765) cameras

Oh, and these C-765 samples (although a bit highly compressed) look quite good too to be the first beginner photos from it dont you think?
http://www.pbase.com/dilanj/oly_c765_first_pics
I guess those undetailed tree-branches in some pics are due to high compression and nothing else....looks like compression-artefacts (they are only about 800kB so must be like 1:16 or so compression and thats high)
Old Apr 22, 2004, 6:18 AM   #10

i just post an reply because i want to follow this thread aswell :/

http://www.pbase.com/image/28158711/original

that is just awful, at iso 125 aswell. The fuji s7000 was said to be noisy but it's lowest is 160 in auto or 200 in manual and it's not worse than this, and it also goes up to 800.
Oh, what to do what to do , I hate my anxious mind, I should simply get the canon eos d30 or something, argh, mailed technikdirekt and asked them to put my order "on hold" if possible
aliquis is offline   Reply With Quote