Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 7, 2004, 2:10 AM   #11

I too was deciding between the Pro1 and the Digital Rebel. I previously used a Canon A-1 SLR and am familiar with its features, but also am acutely aware of the drawbacks of a SLR. The DR is noticably bulkier, especially with the added lens required for a longer zoon range.

I opted for convenience so the Pro1 won out. A big deciding factor was the type of shots taken. I usually use the camera to take landscape and nature shots, so the slow autofocus times was not an issue. If I wereto take pictures of children or sports, I definitely would have go to the Rebel because of the quicker focus and the "live" image since the Pro1 locks the image during autofocus, rendering any action shots useless.

I like the Pro1's zoom range (28-200) which covers everything I need, its compact size, high resolution and feel, especially its great picture quality. I d not like the noise at higher ISO, the extremely lame filter adapter (which blocks the onboard flash when zoomed at 28mm), the motorized zoom. Do I regret my decision? No.

But were I to choose a digital SLR now, I think I would now choose the Nikon D70 over the Rebel.
Jon S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 10:49 PM   #12

I'm excited to say I bought the Rebel over the Pro 1. No, I didn't start this thread, but I had the same questions. The onlyfeature I'll miss of thePro 1 is the movie mode. I liked using my Ricoh RDC-7 to take movies on roller coaster rides that I would later include in slide shows. Itis so small I can do that, but the quality is awful. The Pro 1 would've been a lot clearer for the movies, butI would never trust myself holding that big thing filminga ride on Goliath. :shock: I'll just keep using mylittle RDC-7 for that task.

I'm looking forward to fast pictures, different lenses, less noise, and having an slr camera. :-)
david_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 11:49 PM   #13

David, your first buy should be the Canon 28-135 IS USM. I can't praise the Image Stabilizer enough. It's a great lens even though it's pricey.
xtaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 8:41 PM   #14

xtaski wrote:
Quote:
David, your first buy should be the Canon 28-135 IS USM. I can't praise the Image Stabilizer enough. It's a great lens even though it's pricey.

Thanks for the tip, xtaski. I saved it to Word, and I'll pull it up later when the cash flow allows. Right now I'll use the EFS 18-55. I'm looking forward to upgrading the lens some day.
david_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 2:32 PM   #15

david_q wrote:
Quote:
The onlyfeature I'll miss of thePro 1 is the movie mode.
You clearly dont take macros. I enjoyed my Sony 717 but changed to the Rebel expecting all to be "better". Try taking butterflies hand held with the Rebel with an unstabilised lens. There is no way, whatever the ISO / aperture setting, that the Rebel will ever give the immense depth of field of the very short actual focal length of the digicam lens, and it pees me off. The insect wll simply never be all in focus. I really am seriously thinking of dumping the Rebel and going back to a digicam. I can see myself spending shedfulls of cash on lenses and still not getting results in any way comparable to digican results. The ability to creatively throw backgrounds out of focus is often given as an advantage of the digital SLR, but the reverse requirement is never highlighted, and it should be.

cheers

ken from the uk
ken from the uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 2:24 AM   #16

I would have probably agreed with you up until I got my 28-135 IS USM. It makes the all the world of a difference and is no question better than going with a digicam. If you can't afford the Rebel + Lens then you should look at the digicam. Long term, however, I can't see dropping the cash for a Pro1when you don't have the flexibility oflenses and filters.
xtaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 2:17 PM   #17

Can you give me an ideas as to how much the USM adds to the lens. What shutter speeds can you achieve in comparison to non-USM? At the minute I've got a Sigma 18-125 (f3.5 lowest), but I still find I'd like to shoot confidently in darker situations.
philipsmith is offline   Reply With Quote