Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 26, 2004, 12:44 AM   #1

Default Canon Pro 1 Versus Digital Rebel?

How does the Pro 1 stack up against the Digital Rebel? I am looking into buying either or, and I cannot decide. I am not the biggest fan of changing lenses, but for better lense quality, I'll do it. Does the Pro 1 have a good enough lens to compare to the Digital Rebel? Which is better for the money?
curtisepenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2004, 2:23 AM   #2

I have a Pro1 and am very happy results with its results. I too did not necessarily want to be carry around a kit of lenses.

If you stick to ISO 50 and 100 the results you get on printed on A4 will amaze you (and the detail WILL be better than a 300D). The "L" glass on the Pro1 is "L" quality.

If you want to use higher ISO's a lot of the time or need quicker auto focus go for the 300D. I suggest you to a camera store with a CF card and play with both and compare the results, then decide. Both are great camera's but designed for different purposes.

... Rob
robh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 3:46 PM   #3

Thanks, but how about the Minolta Dimage A2? Why did you decide the Pro 1 over the Dimage A2?
curtisepenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2004, 4:20 AM   #4

To be honest I haven't played with an A2. At the time I bought the Pro1 the A2 was not released in Oz. The cost also would be about 30% more than the Pro1. I have used an A1 and didn't like it, felt plasticy and didn't like the control layout. Also have a Canon 420 flash and other Canon accessories.

Can't complain a bit about the Pro1. I think from what I have read all the 8M camera's would give good service. The DP review of the A2 says it's lens lets it down (has not enough resolving power for the 8m sensor).

If you can have a play with all, take a CF card and then compare the results.

... Rob
Old Apr 28, 2004, 10:35 PM   #5

I don't understand the problem with understanding why digicams (any digicams) cannot equal the image quality of a DSLR any more than 35mm can medium format. Have you seen the difference in sensor sizes? My Digital Rebel at ISO 400 has image quality as good as my G5 at ISO 50. Try your Pro 1 at ISO 400- it ain't a contest, I don't care what lens you put on it. Just buy the Pro 1 if you don't want a DSLR and be happy with ISO 50 and 100. Don't try and talk yourself into thinking it's the same quality as any DSLR. In no terms is it, or will it ever be. You need to re-read Steve's conclusion (next to last paragraph- last sentance).

My G5 produces beautiful images at ISO 50 and when I want to carry a smaller/lighter outfit I will pick it over the Digital Rebel outfit. BUT if I am going to a ballgame, or shooting something where I want to be able to go higher than ISO 50 (which is quite a lot) or view in actual time through a real through the lens viewing system, it's a no-brainer. Not everyone wants to spend the money or switch the lenses or carry the heavier bag around. That's why they make cameras like the Pro 1.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 12:43 AM   #6

I guess we all have our opions on things.

As far as I am corcerned the Pro 1 WILL match a digital SLR at lower ISO's and in decent light condition. I agree it wont at higher ISO's or for focus speed.

... Rob
Old May 5, 2004, 8:08 AM   #7

The only thing I have seen negative about the Pro 1 is the fact that if you use the supplied adaptor for filters, then you cannot use the supplied lens hood. Duh? What was Canon thinking? I have seen a Pro 1 & picked it up at a Circuit City, but have not had one to actually try out. I have the 300D/Digital Rebel & am VERY Pleased with it - except for the buffer only holding 4 images. That is weak. I have had 3 - 16 X 20's printed by a Pro Lab from my files & they are all Tack sharp! All were shot in Large Jpeg, TV Mode, ISO 100 (on 2) & ISO 200 (3rd) & with the 28-135 IS with the IS on & no tripod. My 18 year old son sings in a band & I shot some pix of them outdoors switching between the 28-135 IS & the 75-300 IS in what I call a Bright cloudy day @ ISO 400 & the resluts were VERY good. I had to do very little post editing in the computer. For the $$$ the 300D is the Better choice!

Now if Canon were to make a 6mp version of the S1 that would be a nice alternative for a small digicam to carry around in you camera bag.

Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2004, 8:25 AM   #8

If you look back in the posted topics this has been brought up before. I actually asked the question at one time. I was considering the Pro1 vs. DRebel and after a TON of research and testing at the local shop, I bought the 300D. It was actually cheaper than I could get the Pro1 for. I bought the 300D kit and the EFS lense it comes with is great for macro shots. I don't think you'll be let down by image quality on either camera, however, I do notice a difference between the CCD shots from my Digital Elph and the CMOS shots. To be completely honest, a lot of my DRebel shots without any editing look kinda dull most of the time. It may be my ability...but it's pretty consistent. That said, however, with a little touch up they blow away the shots from a CCD.

Whoever said it above said it right - if you're able to get by on ISO 50-100 then a Digicam is great for you and the Pro1 has the perfect lens. If you need something with a bit more muscle, then there is no other choice. I get great shots with my 3.2MP SD100. The pictures look amazing even printed at 8.5"x11". However, in one month, I have take probably over a hundred shots on the rebel that simply could never have been taken with a Digicam. Your choice depends entirely on your use, but generally speaking you can't compare a DSLR to a Digicam. If you want good pictures, the Pro1 is an overkill in my opinion. Go with a cheaper Digicam like the S1 and you'll get the same great shots although less megapixels.
xtaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 7:17 AM   #9

xtaski wrote:
Quote:
... I do notice a difference between the CCD shots from my Digital Elph and the CMOS shots. To be completely honest, a lot of my DRebel shots without any editing look kinda dull most of the time. It may be my ability...but it's pretty consistent. That said, however, with a little touch up they blow away the shots from a CCD.
Can you explain this further? I mean, dull images without editing? I don't think you actually refer to the noise, ISO 100 and 200 is virtually noiseless on a 300D... not sharp after integrated noise reduction but still a lot of details.
pauza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:04 PM   #10

I was not talking about noise. The dullness is just comparative. The Pro1 over saturates the image with color. Any SLR is duller but it gives you a lot more power in post processing. The DRebel is great for low/no noise. The only issue is you have to post process or you'll likely get duller looking color/contrast. Hands down I wouldn't trade my DR in for a Pro1. Get a DR with a 28-135 IS USM and life is sweet.
xtaski is offline   Reply With Quote