Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 29, 2004, 12:07 AM   #1
gwt

Default Canon Pro 1 users, how good is low light focusing?

I've owned 3 excellent Canon digital cameras and I'm now interested in the new Pro 1. One of my favorite features of the Canon cameras has been the focus assist lamp which gives perfect focus in even a dark room. The Pro 1 doesn't have the focus assist lamp. I've used a Kodak digital camera that claimed good low light focusing using the same hybrid focusing scheme which is a combination of phase difference and contrast focusing and it was not good. I would love to be convinced that the Pro 1 is capable of good low light focusing. What do you think? What has been your experience?
gwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2004, 2:26 AM   #2

Having owned a G3 and now a Pro1, I don't think the low light ability of either is all that good. However the Pro1 is definitely better than the G3 (which does have an AF assist light).

I find the Pro1 will lock into focus at 28mm even in almost complete darkness but has more of a problem as the focal length increases.
robh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 9:57 AM   #3

Not as good as I expected, very slow, sometimes confuse and freeze up. The best AF in low light in all of the 5 new 8 megapix cameras is the Sony F-828 (not just for low light, in any situation), then the Olympus C8080, the Minolta A2, Canon Pro 1, and in last place is the nikon 8700.

Overall rating, the Olympus came out on top in my list.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:29 AM   #4
gwt

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Overall rating, the Olympus came out on top in my list.
I've about decided the same thing. Except for the low light issue I really like the Pro 1 for size and varous other features. I do a lot of indoor photography and it does make a difference.

Thanks for your comments, jury is still out.

GWT
gwt is offline   Reply With Quote