Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 30, 2004, 1:53 PM   #1

Default Problem downloading from Canon A80

I bought my first digital camera last weekend and am on a steep learning curve.

My problem concerns incomplete downloads of pictures to Zoombrowser EX. Sometimes all goes well and I can edit and print the picture in the Arcsoft programme bundled with the camera. At other times, although the thumbnail in Zoombrowser is complete and looks normal, only the top part of the picture appears in the photo editor window. I'm using Windows 98.

This problem is driving me nuts. Can anyone help? The Arcsoft and Canon on-line help systems seem pretty useless. It's time to ask the experts!

Thanks,

Brian
Brian the Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2004, 11:24 AM   #2

Hi Brian, since your running Windows 98 your computer probably has some age on it and may be the cause of your problems. If you are shooting in the LARGE or BEST formats you might try reducing the size of your pictures making it easier for your computer to download the files.
mikesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2004, 2:35 PM   #3

Hi, Mike.

Thanks for your reply. I'm beginning to think that you are right regarding my old clunker of a computer. My images download from the camera much quicker than I am accustomed to when working with scans and downloads from the net and I dont think I have the processor speed, RAM or HD to do it justice.

I've checked the latest computer specifications in the paper today and, by comparison, mine clearly belongs in a museum. More expense!

Regards,

Brian
Old Jun 11, 2004, 4:12 PM   #4

Actually, your real problem is that Windows 98 did not come with all of the drivers that computers with XP come with. You should look at the Canon web site for a special external drive driver and make sure that you have all of the current Windows 98 Service Packs and additional drivers.
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 2:42 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice, Doc.

I installed the software onto a friend's computer and everything worked perfectly so it was clear thatmy ancient computer was the problem. A couple of weeks ago I bought a new state of the art machine and everything now works fine.

I'm now learning how to use the camera and amconstantly amazed at the quality of the pictures.

Brian