Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 2, 2004, 1:25 AM   #1

I've just bought a S1 and have a few comments.

Don't know if it's the amount of features but I am not finding it all easy navigating the menus. Also there's things I can't find that I think should be available. EG see a bar of zoom level when taking photo.
They rely a lot on the user recognising the icons for each task and I am hopeless at this. Can't do this on the computer either and usually use menus or just know the relative position of an icon.
Zooming in video mode - the sound of the zoom motor comes over strong in the clip.
I really wouldn't want the back LCD screen any smaller - is a little hard to use because of it's size.
Battery holder feels a little weak - wish I could charge in camera so it isn't opened at all. In fact I can't believe they haven't designed it so the camera canuse the power from the USB port when transferring images.
It's pretty hopeless focussing in low light.
The viewfinder is LCD not glass/optical and isvery lowresolution. Could be useful if bright light stops you seeing the back LCD but that's about all.

Q'S:

Is it true (according to the errata sheet included with the camera quoted word for word): You may not be able to download the camera images if there is more than 1000 images in the camera.Movies exceeding 210mb cannot be downloaded. (I thought it could record up to 1 gig movies)

Also am I right in estimating that the LAH-DC10 kit will allow one to add filters to the camera using a 52mm thread as with manySLR lenses?
timotsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2004, 4:58 PM   #2
sac

I've had my S1 IS for about three weeks. Already had the A40 with illumintor light for poorlight focusing. Yes, quite a shock to find the S1 is very poor in low light/low contrast. Steve makes numerous comments on reviews about the desirability of the illuminator - just didn't realise what a big difference it makes.

Also have difficulty with flash - sometimes it will simply not pop-up - suspect this may be linked to inability to get a focus in poor light. Not sure.

The menus are OK on the TFT because the legend is visible. The viewfinder icons are OK but do take some learning but much better than none as in an optical viewfinder of the A40. TFT could be bigger. Tilt/turn facility is a big improvement.

Movies on the S1 are a big improvement over the A40 given the length plus zoom ability. Some zoom sound can be detected but it's relatively minor I've found.The 15 fps at 640 seems good enough for normal use. I have 2 x 256MB PQI x40 speed cards so should never get into the 1,000 stills. I'd have expected that buying a camera at this price, highest resolution and high quality compression would be normal, so even a 1 gig card this would be 600 files. Even 600 is going to take quite a while to transfer unless you have a fastcard and use it in a USB2 reader/port.

A good camera but I am left wondering if the Image Stabilisation is worth the premium price - though for the UK I got mine relatvely cheap - new via ebay.

sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 1:51 AM   #3

So far I am loving this camera. The picture quality is great, the features are endless, the image stabilization is awesome. I highly recommend this camera. I've noticed a lot of people complaining about the poor focusing in low light. I honestly havn't had too much of a problem with this yet. I've only had the camera for a few days now, so I might notice it more soon. I really only have 2 complaints about it.
1. The battery cover feels very weak, like it could break at any moment. I hope this doesn't end up being a problem.
2. The CF cover also feels weak. It slides back and forth while I'm holding it, which becomes annoying.
Other than those two things, I can't think of anything else that bothers me about this camera. I'm a very picky person, so I may come up with more soon, but for now, that's it.

-hypnotoad
hypnotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 11:07 AM   #4

timotsc wrote:
Quote:
Is it true (according to the errata sheet included with the camera quoted word for word): You may not be able to download the camera images if there is more than 1000 images in the camera.Movies exceeding 210mb cannot be downloaded. (I thought it could record up to 1 gig movies)
That is a limitation (known bugs) of certain software version / OS environment (MAC-OS?)together with the USB camera link. That paper states it clearly.

Other than that, there are no such limitations.
bluelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 11:18 AM   #5

hypnotoad wrote:
Quote:
1. The battery cover feels very weak, like it could break at any moment. I hope this doesn't end up being a problem.
2. The CF cover also feels weak. It slides back and forth while I'm holding it, which becomes annoying.
The covers aren't very sturdy, but they are of quite good quality, given the fact they are made from plastic. The hinges are even made from metal. They feel a lot stronger that the ones from some other manufacturers consumer cameras.If you treat them with respect, they will last a lifetime.

Old May 24, 2004, 11:40 AM   #6

timotsc wrote:
Quote:
Don't know if it's the amount of features but I am not finding it all easy navigating the menus. Also there's things I can't find that I think should be available. EG see a bar of zoom level when taking photo.
They rely a lot on the user recognising the icons for each task and I am hopeless at this. Can't do this on the computer either and usually use menus or just know the relative position of an icon.
Zooming in video mode - the sound of the zoom motor comes over strong in the clip.
I really wouldn't want the back LCD screen any smaller - is a little hard to use because of it's size.
Battery holder feels a little weak - wish I could charge in camera so it isn't opened at all. In fact I can't believe they haven't designed it so the camera canuse the power from the USB port when transferring images.
It's pretty hopeless focussing in low light.
The viewfinder is LCD not glass/optical and isvery lowresolution. Could be useful if bright light stops you seeing the back LCD but that's about all.
Learning the icons is part of the learning curve in using this camera. In the beginning I often walked through the functions and menues and read the user manual often to get used to its icons and functions.

I think the menues and functions are well ordered and very useable, but maybe that's due to my technical background.

The zoom motor is very smooth and silent; I haven't heard it in my filming experiments. The microphone is very sensitive though; I can hear a lot of background noise; I can even hear myself swalowing.

The size, resolution and picture representation of the LCD/EVF is a real issue. I think, Canon made here a too big compromise.

The AF capabilities of this camera is my biggest concern. There are just too many situation where the camera just won't focus properly. Lots of my first pictures were out of focus. I need to use manual focus just too often. I more and more doubt that this camera can ever be used as a point-and-shoot camera....