Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 12, 2004, 1:36 PM   #1

Before I drop big bucks on a fast 1GB CF, I was wondering how to tell if the S1 IS can write fast enough to take advantage of them? How do I find out--it doesn't seem to be in review specs.
:?:
Lorac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2004, 9:11 PM   #2

Hello Lorac

I alsobought the Canon S1 IS and just bought a 1Gig Sandisk Ultra II CF card, it's in the mail right now so I can't say how well itworks. $350.00 Canadian at http://cameracanada.com/

I have a regular Sandisk card 512mb and it can not keep up in the fine 640x480 30fpsvideo mode and caps off at less then 30 seconds, in the 320 by 240 15 fps mode it writes till the card is used up fully.

I did do some digging around on the internet and found that the Canon S1 writes 2mb of video data per second.

The 1Gig Sandisk Ultra II CF card has a 9mb write speed (60x).

I hope this helps.

Ed

Frostbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 10:40 PM   #3

The Regular sandisk card is either 1x or 4x (depending on the model.. unfortunately the only way to tell the models apart is by the color of the labeling.)

So I would not expect it to keep up with a movie mode. I would not recommend either type of SanDisk "standard" or "regular" card (They will be slow writing pictures to the card, and very bad at recording a movie on.)

On the other hand the SanDisk Ultra II is a waste for that camera. I would be shocked if the camera could take advantage of even a small fraction of the speed that card is capable.

BTW, it doesn't matter that the card is capable of being written to at 9MB per second. No camera in existance (DLSR or digicam) can write any where near that speed. It's the same with external hard disks in your computer. People love to quote how USB 2 has a higher throughput capactiy vs. firewire (480Mb/s vs. 400Mb/s.) But the reality is that firewire hard disks are much faster than USB disks because firewire is more efficient. Rated throughput doesn't matter... that is theoritical performance. What you want is real world numbers in the situation you will use it.

Save your money and don't get the Ultra II. But don't get the "standard" SanDisk as well. Get a nice 12x-18x card and be happy.

Is it bad to get the Ultra II? No, it will work great and be fast. But a 18x card will probably be almost the same in speed and be much cheaper.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 11:55 PM   #4

Hello Eric

Thanks for the extra info, the Canon S1 is a new point and shot for my wife and myself I have a Canon D60 and hope too and will use the card more often in my DSLR and hope that it will write Raw faster for me.

Price wise, it a big drop from the $700.00 in Canada from six months ago.

Thanks

Ed

Frostbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 8:30 AM   #5

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Save your money and don't get the Ultra II. But don't get the "standard" SanDisk as well. Get a nice 12x-18x card and be happy.

Is it bad to get the Ultra II? No, it will work great and be fast. But a 18x card will probably be almost the same in speed and be much cheaper.

I don't agree with You about Ultra II because not only You get a faster saving of pictures but, most important, You can use all the time with movie. The cheaper will stop afterone minut instead for 4. The same with 12x or 18x.

I tested both,payed the higher price and I'm satisfied.

What You say about Firewire and USB is trueand it's exactly what's happening with Ultra II (=Firewire) and Strd (=USB).

Try to believe.:-)

Adwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 10:17 PM   #6

eric s wrote:
Quote:
On the other hand the SanDisk Ultra II is a waste for that camera. I would be shocked if the camera could take advantage of even a small fraction of the speed that card is capable.

[align=center]I don't understand this Eric. I have a S1 with an Ultra 2 card. The previous writer says the standard Sandisk card can't keep up with the high speed video so if you buy that you can't get the full capabilities out of the camera and the pricing of the Ultra (here in Australia anyway) is only marginally more than the standard.

[/align]
In other words - why not buy the 512 Ultra 2 at only $27 more than the standard and get all the camera can offer. Using a CF-USB reader would possibly also give faster transfer speeds.

(reference pricing http://www.citysoftware.com.au)

timotsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 9:56 AM   #7

Adwulf wrote:
Quote:
eric s wrote:
Quote:

I don't agree with You about Ultra II because not only You get a faster saving of pictures but, most important, You can use all the time with movie. The cheaper will stop afterone minut instead for 4. The same with 12x or 18x.

I tested both,payed the higher price and I'm satisfied.
I do agree with Eric S. I have a standard Apacer CF, with 2MB/s write speed (I don't know the exact capabilities of this card; I read conflicting performance figures at different web sites), and it works fine. The red activity led is off for about 10-20% when filming at highest resolution.

There is no noticible delay in saving pictures, so the fastest card won't help you either.

Hence, there is no need to pay a higher price for faster card.

bluelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 1:33 AM   #8

You guys are based on test or theory? I am using sandisk 256M. I just bought it from the store. it can take 640X480X30fps fine movie with no problems. I took about 2 mins till it fulled. No frame drops. No problem.
unclesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 3:26 PM   #9

I came across this forum talking about which cards do and do not work with full video...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=8952847

I ordered the Lexar 1GB 40x from Amazon for $199... from the results I have heard it can pull the full 9 min (shown on the chart in the link).
Kukur is offline   Reply With Quote