Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 17, 2004, 10:07 AM   #1

The A75 was announced and is coming out soon (if not already). Does anyone have any word on a successor to the A80? I'm probably going to purchase one today but I would have to buy one if the next model is about to come out.
rizorith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2004, 11:11 AM   #2

Looking back at the press releases for A60, A70, A75 amd A80 on the canon site, it appears Feb. and Aug. press releases are the norm with instore dates April/May and Oct./Nov. respectively. So it's possiblean A85 or A90 might be out in the fall. (?)
tod651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 1:22 AM   #3

I am using A80 and very much satisfied with this build and quality. I guess if you are looking for 3x zoom camera it is not worthwhile to wait for any A85 or A90. Rather I am waiting for an upgrade to S1 IS (maybe S2 IS?) that offer 4MP or more and photo quality comparable to that of A80.
orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 10:57 AM   #4

What are you looking at in the successor of the A80?

The A75 just added a larger LCD to the A70, and some more picture modes.

The S1 IS is bigger than an A80; it is a different product range.

Last fall, Canon announced to be launching 20 new cameras this year, so a lot has to come out yet.
bluelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 11:21 AM   #5

Yes, but that announcement was not limited to digital cameras; they're released several 35mm and APS units.

Dave
Old Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 11:38 PM   #6

bluelion wrote:
Quote:
What are you looking at in the successor of the A80?
I'd like to see a swivel LCD with more than just 67,000 pixels. Also a movieresolution comparable to the A75. If there is an A90, 5 megapixels would be nice.
tod651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 7:54 AM   #7

I love my A80, and am glad I didn't hang around before I bought it in March(rumoursabout anA85/90 were around even then). It's a really great camera, my only regret is the small LCD, but I don't lnow that I'd rush out and buy an upgrade just for that. I could well be tempted by a 4MP version of the S1 IS though.

Rose
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 7:27 AM   #8

The A80 is definitly the best pocket digital camera you can get. Improvement could address sevral minor issues : bigger LCD screen, more settings (brigtness of LCD, separate contrat/ saturation settings, bracketting abilities, improvement of autowhite balance, prevention of hightlights burning)

Now, considering the size and the price, the A80 is not perfect but excellent...

Robert
RobertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 8:22 AM   #9

Well, "logic" would seem to indicate that an "evolution instead of revolution" would continue in the A-series and that an A85 would/should be in the works. Canon I'm sure is aware that there are some A70/75 users who won't upgrade to the A80 as it has a smaller movie mode (320 x 240) comared to the A70's 640x480 movies. So again, "logic" would seem to make you think a redone A80 (5?) would include the upgraded movie mode and enhancements to the LCD and some tweaks here and there.

But as those who have been observing camera makers now know... logic is not always in their vocabulary.

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 3:11 PM   #10

Hi,

Some news that may interest you folks with regard to a "new A80/85 etc.
I recently bought a new A80 but had to return it with a fault. The shop said no problem we'll swap it when we get some more A80's in. However when they tried to re order they were told that non were available and that i would have to wait until the new model is available. That was a week ago and the shop have said they will contact me when it is in stock. So there is a new version on the way but no more details as yet but i'll keep you postaed!

Mark.:!:
mandwa is offline   Reply With Quote