Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 21, 2004, 2:58 PM   #1

I just got a Canon A80 a few days ago. It takes great pictures if your standing perfectly still. If you move the slightest the picture comes out very blurry.

I have a Sony Maveric that is older that works fine when taking pictures of something moving and the pictures turn out great.

Im hoping I just need to adjust something on the Canon. Also note Im talking about very slight movement not like jumping up and down.

Thanks!

BuckMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2004, 9:53 PM   #2

A few ways I found to prevent this:

1) Don't move

2) Lean against something

3)Hold your breath

4) Use a tripod
tod651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 9:57 PM   #3

I just realized that you might have meant when the subject was moving....?

In that case you could try the fast shutter mode on the mode dial. I've used this with moving children and it worked out well.
tod651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 9:23 AM   #4

Use the Tv position of the mode dial, and select a time less than 1/125 seconds.

The Cannon S1-is has an image stabilizer to getsteady pictures without a tripod.

bluelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 3:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Correrct the subject. Im perfectly still

I'll try what you and bluelionsuggested. I really love the camera beside this issue and hope to resolve it. Its really hard to try and tell a 4 year old to be VERY still. The slightest movement the picture comes out blurry! I need to read more up on the book but thought Id post here since I read alot of reviews here as well.

Thanks!
BuckMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 1:33 PM   #6

I have the same problem, actually my wife does but you know what that means.

I got her this camera to replace an aging kodak dx3600, which took great pictures for her point an shoot shots of the kids. No noticable problems with blurriness.

Canon A80 = different story. Nothing seems to help. The camera has image stabilization but it doesn't seem to correct the problem. I realize I could tell her to use a tripod or manual settings etc. but I really dont' think it would be practical. So far the A80 takes great shots when we can actually get one that isn't blurry.

Does this seem to be a common problem with this model?
Any suggestions on which camera(s) that are more "user" friendly?

davedeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 5:13 PM   #7

Buck, if you're taking photos with correct exposure and using the flash when needed (when indoors) you shouldn't have this problem. If your camera is still under service then send it in. Are you getting blurry pictures with sunny outdoor shots as well? If you're not then it might be your exposure settings, try taking pictures in the Auto or P mode with flash on.

Davedeal, are you sure you have image stabilization? I didn't think any of the Powershot A series has this feature. Even if you are using a camera with IS it won't really do anything for image blurry do to incorrect exposure.

Sam
spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 8:39 AM   #8

Trust me . . . . The A80 does NOT have IS.

My girlfriend bought the A80 last February to replace an older Sony Mavica & she gets EXCELLENT results. Only once did she have a problem, & it was when she accidently didn't have her reading glasses on & instead of setting it on Automatic, she had it on something like landscape & it messed up some indoor shots. I have used it a couple of times & it does great for me! I suggest you set it on Automatice & go!
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 9:13 AM   #9
Administrator

BuckMaster wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Correrct the subject. Im perfectly still

I'll try what you and bluelionsuggested. I really love the camera beside this issue and hope to resolve it. Its really hard to try and tell a 4 year old to be VERY still. The slightest movement the picture comes out blurry! I need to read more up on the book but thought Id post here since I read alot of reviews here as well.

Thanks!
It sounds like you're not using the flash indoors (where light is much lower than you think in typical home lighting). As a result, the shutter speeds are too slow to prevent motion blur.

If you use the flash (as spark mentioned), then you shouldn't have a problem with motion blur indoors in most lighting.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 4:49 AM   #10

Coming from what JimC mentioned. Maybe your flash is not set to it's maximum capacity. I myself discovered just recently that you can actually adjust flash, the default was set to mid-range. But I'm using an A75, so I assume your newer model should also have this function too.

I just checked again, and a little oops, the settings of flash is for Manual mode, and default at mid range. Am not so sure if the other modes uses this default also.

...ben is offline   Reply With Quote