Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 23, 2004, 7:57 PM   #1

I recently bought a new Canon A80.I've noticed a sort of clicking/chattering noise. At first I thought it was the lens because it happens after I turn the camera on and the lens extends and when using the 3X optical zoom. But then I turned the LCD off both by keeping it turned inward and then by keeping it out but with the screen turned off.....and no noise. It appears that this noise is happening when the LCD tries to adjust to the what the lens is doing. Sometimes it lasts a few seconds or happens twice in a row while the LCD is adjusting. Is this a problem area that should be checked? Thanks for any info.
tod651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2004, 3:08 AM   #2

I own the a80also. Is it the sound when you take a pic? Or a little noise when the camera is auto focusing? Go into your cameras options and turn off the volume to deee if this helps out.
vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 4:28 AM   #3

Thanks for answering vansmack. It's similar to the noise when I press the shutter down half way before it beeps.I guess that's theautofocusing sound (?). I turned the volume to the lowest on all options and it made no difference. Here's a detailed description. I put the LCD in the viewable position and then hit the power on button. The lens extends with a whiring sound. Then there is alow internal chattering/clicking noise, quiet and then some more. It does the same thing when I extend the zoom to the 3X mark or less and back again. It doesn't happen if the LCD is off.
Old May 24, 2004, 7:25 AM   #4

My A80 does this also. I assume it's auto-focusing (it happens a lot less if you turn the dial to Manual).
Chipseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 11:57 AM   #5

Chipseh, Thanks for your reply. If it was autofocusing why wouldn't I hear it when the LCD is off?By the way,thesounds are the same on my camera even in the manual mode. I sent a note to Canon Tech support.....here's their reply:

"It is perfectly normal for the camera to make faint humming, whirring,
or clicking sounds. This does not mean that the camera ismalfunctioning."

The pictures and functioning are fine so I guess I'll just have to accept it as part of the camera noises.
Old May 24, 2004, 4:56 PM   #6

You can also mute the volume, if it bothers you. I keep the volume muted...to save on batteries. I did record "say cheese" as the sound it plays while holding the shot button half way. Usually made everyone laugh while taking there pic.
vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 7:50 PM   #7

vansmack wrote:
Quote:
You can also mute the volume, if it bothers you. I keep the volume muted...to save on batteries. I did record "say cheese" as the sound it plays while holding the shot button half way. Usually made everyone laugh while taking there pic.
The muting of the volume has nothing to do with the noises that are from actual internal workings. For instance you can be set to "mute" but still hear the whirring of the lens and the focusing being done. On the other hand I've been thinking about adding some custom noises too. I'm not so sure I'll use "say cheese" though.:-)

I did end up going back to the store. I tried one of the A80s on display and the noises did sound similar tomine but mine has an extra added bunch of clicks at the end. I had the tech there try mine and he said it was a normal sound. He said it was the sound of theautofocusing and/or processor. Time will tell.
Old May 26, 2004, 11:04 AM   #8
Administrator

Most digicams will automatically go into Continuous auto focus mode when the color LCD is turned on. All of the Nikon Coolpix cameras do this and I wouldn't be surprised if the Canons do as well. What you are hearing is the auto focuss motor adjusting the lens - it is normal. Continuous AF also makes the camera quicker to shoot as there will be little to no auto focus going on when you half-press the shutter as it is already focused.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote