Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 25, 2004, 8:13 AM   #1

I've been considering a Cannon S1 IS to serve two purposes. First my wife needs a high quality, essentially point and shoot camera for photographing home interiors for her web site (she is an interior designer) as well as for photos to enlarge for her carry around portfolio. Second, we'd use it as an easy to carry fun camera, shooting everything from our goddaughters recitals to the beach, and boating photos/video. We were interested in this camera for its small size, perceived image quality, great zoom, and image stabilization.

I was hoping to get some comments from owners on how they like the camera, how they feel it would work for our needs, and possibly get an owner to post or e-mail to me some example photos and video from this camera in a consumers hands. Thanx in advance for any input…

~Scott T.
NikonDevotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2004, 9:43 AM   #2

For indoor P&S use, the S1 probably has too many bells and whissles. You most likely want to have greater wide angle, better low-light performance and more powerfull flash. There are smaller, lighter cameras for less ca$h.

The video mode, although quite good, is not for 'taping' recitals due to storage size limitations.

The image quality is very good if you know what you are doing, otherwise just above avarage.

The zoom and image stabilization are excellent.
bluelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2004, 6:45 PM   #3

Its probably not worth spending all that money if all you want is a point and hoot camera, you can get a cheaper camera with the same resolution but with ot nearly as many options as the S1 IS. Also the 10x zoom and image stabalization makes it expensize and if your going to be doing indoor shooting its probably not worth it. But on the other hand if you do like to fool around and have fun outdoors with your camera i would say it is defintely worth it. The movie mode it impressive but likebluelion said you will need a BIG memory card to shoot longer movies.

Attached Images

Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2004, 6:50 PM   #4

Its probably not worth spending all that money if all you want is a point and hoot camera, you can get a cheaper camera with the same resolution but with ot nearly as many options as the S1 IS. Also the 10x zoom and image stabalization makes it expensize and if your going to be doing indoor shooting its probably not worth it. But on the other hand if you do like to fool around and have fun outdoors with your camera i would say it is defintely worth it. The movie mode it impressive but likebluelion said you will need a BIG memory card to shoot longer movies.

Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2004, 7:18 PM   #5

If you are going to take a lot of indoor shots of homes, 35mm wide angle is NOT enough. You must get a camera that will zoom out to at least 28mm. When using wide angle, image stabilization is not as useful as in zoom in shots. I also would recommend an external flash unit that offers "bounce" capabilites, i.e. flash points to ceiling instead of walls. It looks a lot better.
Jon S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 2:52 PM   #6
sac

I've had my S1 IS for a few weeks now - it's a good camera but I do not think it fits your requiements. It is not actually that small compared to many other cameras and compared to my old Canon A40 is complex to use. If you want a Canon the later A80 is probably a better fit and cheaper it has the swing out TFT and 4MP resolution, takes good movies, etc.

Given the need for interior shots I'd expect a widezoom would be be useful, ideally equivalent to a 28mm at its widest.There are Nikon and Olympus wide zoom digital camerasin asimilar price bracket. Though none of these are particualy compact
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 5:13 AM   #7

How about the Canon S60? It's on the Canon USA website, although I've not seen one in stores yet. It will be a bit pricey at $499 list, but does have 5mp, vs. 3mp on the S1 Is, and a terrific 28mm to 100mm range - great for indoor shooting. Canon lists the flash as having a 14' range at wide angle. Feature set is much like the A80. I'm also waiting to see the Sony W1 and Kokak DX7440.

Dave
Old Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote