Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 27, 2004, 2:23 AM   #1

I have been considering buying a new camera with substantial zoom for outdoor shots or for events where you may not be next to the subject. However, I would be using this camera as a general purpose camera as well, so it should be able to take good indoor, close shots as well. These two cameras (Z2 and S1 SI) are extremely similar with few minor differences. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to which would be better for me and what the advantages of one would be over the other. I do not think the 3.2 v 4 mega pixel difference would be important. However, some say there are problems with focus or image quality. I am not an expert so im not exactly up to speed on what they are going on about or how I would go about fixing it. Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you very much,

Scott
billybob1863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2004, 3:46 AM   #2

i'm not an expert either but Minolta has only price advantage over S1. it's almost $100 cheaper. if you read steve's reviews (see other reviews as well) you can easily see that Canon is better.

If the price is so importantfor you and the most important thing for you is 10x zoom, then you can decide on Z2 too, but still, Canon takes better shots with 10x zoom.

Video performance of Canon is better too. have a look at the videos and photos from each camera in steve's review pagesand you'll see.

h.

h-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 5:11 AM   #3

I can answer in this way. I had Minolta Z1 and I didn't was unsatisfied but I was afraid about the switch-system,the bad audio sync on movie (with my card) and noisy AF on movie (AF motor).

I have now Canon S1 and I'm satisfied. Low-light pictures was a little problem with Z1 and is the same with S1 (and almost cameras).

The movie is better without noise (except when You are zooming).

The quality of the the pictures is something better but it's can be a taste question.

IS is very good in all situations expecially with long zoom and movie.

But everything is ...taste.
foffodc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 1:04 AM   #4

Thanks for your advice. I was leaning towards the canon but I wanted to check all the alternatives. Any other cameras in that range that you might recomend? For example the Olympus (though I feel that is not the best camera). Anyway thanks again,

Scott
billybob1863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 9:40 PM   #5

:-)I did had the same problem deciding which one should I buy, particularly I had few Minolta 35mm cameras already and had experience using Minolta products. In comparing the two, I decided to buy the Canon S1 IS, due to the lcd screen, IS,and more conventional look. good luck. thanks.
jimmy380 is offline   Reply With Quote