Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 28, 2004, 3:23 AM   #1

Okay. I just picked up a brand spankin' new Canon Powershot Pro1 today to replace my old Kodak digital camera (I need to take a lot of indoor shots and needed a 28mm aspect lens, and I really did not want to buy a Digital Rebel either because it is a bit bulky for my taste.).Got it home and the USM drive was not up to par. I mean it worked, but it made a gawd-awful grinding gear gnashing sound whenever the autofocus or zoom is engaged. So it went back to the store right away and picked up another one.

Now there are a lot of issues that the Canon had which I had to put up with, namely;

1. slooowww auto-focus :sleep:

2. image lock-up during auto-focus

3. Possible future dust behind the lens problem :shock:

4. mediocre powered zoom :yawn:

5. extremely stupid design of a 58mm filter adapter on the lens. :whack:

Now I felt I could put up with all that. I also like to protect my lens from damage and dust by attaching a UV filter on the lens. Attached the filter adapter and filter to the lens, looks a bit kludgy but not too bad. Take a few test shots with the flash at 28mm and "what the ****?" There is a large shadowed area at the bottom center of the image, caused by the filter interfering with the flash. Now this is a deal killer for me because being a realtor I take a LOT of indoor shots at wide angle with the flash. Looks like the Canon is going back to the store for good.

Attached Images

Jon S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2004, 6:43 AM   #2
NHL

Jon S wrote:
Quote:
... and I really did not want to buy a Digital Rebel either because it is a bit bulky for my taste.). Got it home and the USM drive was not up to par. I mean it worked, but it made a gawd-awful grinding gear gnashing sound whenever the autofocus or zoom is engaged. So it went back to the store right away and picked up another one....
The USM mechanism is supposed to be silent, ie ultrasonic with no gearing! (could it be a defect or something?)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 3:35 PM   #3

Well, I have just talked to Canon about this issue. They said either remove the filter, don't use the flash or buy an external flash unit. Talk about a really really design screwup....

:angry:
Jon S is offline   Reply With Quote