Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 30, 2004, 8:45 AM   #1

Which oneshould I buy? Pansonic FZ10 or the Cannon S1 IS
yoojohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2004, 6:55 PM   #2

The two sound very similar, but I think I'd prefer the Canon because the LCD monitor is hinged and you can adjust it's angle. I think that I'd sometimes find this very useful & convenient.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 11:44 PM   #3

yoojohnc wrote:
Quote:
Which oneshould I buy? Pansonic FZ10 or the Cannon S1 IS

That's kind of like going into an ice cream shop and looking at the people behind the counter and asking, "what do I want to eat?"

We don't know!

What is your budget?

What size prints would you like to make?

What features (such as movie mode) are important or not to you?

Does the power source (AAs or proprietary batteries) matter to you?

It's very hard for us, as strangers, to tell you what camera to buy when you, a stranger, only put in text two camera models and say, "what should I buy?". You must give us more info on WHAT you want to do with the camera, price ranges, etc.

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 8:46 AM   #4

What is your budget? The price range of the two is OK with me.

What size prints would you like to make? I don't print, yet

What features (such as movie mode) are important or not to you? I use the video alot, the cannon has a larger resolution, which is nice.

Does the power source (AAs or proprietary batteries) matter to you? I used to be a boy scout. Always prepared.

It's very hard for us, as strangers, to tell you what camera to buy when you, a stranger, only put in text two camera models and say, "what should I buy?". You must give us more info on WHAT you want to do with the camera, price ranges, etc.

My main concern is photo quality. (and I do like the hinged LCD). I want crisp photos. I am sick of out of focused photo. They look good on the camera LCD, but when i get home and see them on my computer i am disappointed. I have two cameras now. A small fuji 40i and the FZ1 now. I have come to low light problems and landscape shot that are almost always out of focus.

So, can you help me now?
yoojohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 1:08 PM   #5

I was convinced that I had an out of focus problem with my first digital camera (1.5 megapixels) until I learned that the the best* way to get sharp photos is to set the camera to its lowest sharpness setting and then apply sharpening to the image after it's been downloaded into my computer.

*Of course all this assumes that there was no camera shake! Nothing beats a good solid tripod, though for most practical purposes an image stabilisation in the camera works just as well.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 12:49 PM   #6
Bka

For landscape shotsit's the best to use the manual focus and set it to infinity.

I don't know about the FZ10, but the S1 has some low-light focusing problems - it's best to set it manually and then use the focus bracketing feature. It's VERY useful (if you have space on your card to store3 images forevery photo).

Besides: always remember that every camera uses some interpolation while creating a photo - originally each pixel is red, green or blue. That's why 100% magnified images look a bitblurry on the screen. This problem cannot be solved (some sharpening will seem to do it, but the image noise...)
Bka is offline   Reply With Quote