Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 31, 2004, 5:13 AM   #1

I too am disappointed with the Canon A75 I have just bought.

I did a quick shoot out on auto at a local park.

White balance too blue, bad purple fringing on skies and highlights.

Green grass looks blurry, and at full telephoto nothing looks like its in focus.

And yes I did hold the camera still.

Even subjects with the slightest movement come out blurred. I took a picture of a slow moving duckswimming in a lake (hardly fast moving) - result - blurred.

I bought this camera specifically to capture fast moving objects (planes, traines etc) but even using the fast shutter mode at the full telephoto the pictures look soft.

I have previously used a borrowed Samsung 3 megapixel camera, and was hoping the Canon would blow it away. But the Samsung's pictures are better!.

I'm wondering if there's a poor batch going round (the other user complaining of the same issues is from New Zealand also). This camera gets rave reviews on the net, I doubt whether they are wrong!

asellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2004, 6:37 AM   #2
kex

please give us some more facts and maybe we can help you with that problem.

Do you have the AiAF turned on?
What ISO did you use?
How long was the exposure time in the shots?
Was the flash turned on?
Did you push the trigger half way trough to focus?

Give us some exif data from the pictures and maybe you can also attach some shots to your posts here?
I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with the cam itself.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 6:07 PM   #3

Thanks for the comments.

It seems this camera givesits poorest performance in Auto mode.THe lens seems to default to a wide aperture (usually the softest setting of any lens).The white balance gives a blue cast. The pictures are slighly over exposed.

After reading some web forums and experimenting with the camera today I have madesome progress in using Programme mode for most of my shooting. Setting the ISO to 100, using spot focus instead of AiAF, under exposing the picture by -1/3, using the preset white balance modes for the conditions, rahter than auto.Using a small image sizewith superfine quality, rather than big file and high compression.

When using telephoto shots I use Aperture priority to steer the camera away from f2.8 and try to go for the smallest aperture I can (today was overcast so I was using f 4 - 5.6), whilst checking the shutter speed is always higher than 1/125, remembering the rule always use a shutter speed equal to or more than the focal length of the lens.

And hey bingo! After a3 days of shooting with not adecent pic in sight, today I have pics that are a least satisfactory. However I'm not blown away by the image sharpness on the A75 it seems the lens is soft at telephoto end (or maybe all compact digicams are ?) and the default sharpening low.It seems you have to set up each shot manually for the conditions to get a decent pic out of it. This is a bit of a let down as I had envisaged the camera to be a good point and shoot camera for my parents to use too, as well as being able to use the manual settings occasionally in specific situations.

Anyway I'll try and attach some pics in the near future and I would look forward to people's comments.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 12:23 AM   #4

Tell me how you get on.

Im thinking if I cant work it out, I might take mine back but I dont know how oblinging places are to take things back when you get extras thrown in with the camera.

~Mike
miker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 2:02 AM   #5

I spent a whole day playing with it. These are my findings on getting the best results so far.

Instead of using Auto mode, used Programme mode for every day shooting.Use manual white balance for the conditions.

Shoot on low file size and superfine quality. Turn off AiAf and use spot focus.

Bump the ISO up from 50 (if youre using it) to 100. This makes the camera more sensitive and will give you smaller apertures.

When using telephoto mode with a subject with little movement, use aperture priority mode and get the highest f number whilst monitoring the shutter speed to make sure it doesn't drop below 1/100. If there is movement, use either shutter priority or the sports action mode to avoid image blur. Hopefully there will be plenty of light and you will keep the camera dead still.

After uploading your pics to the pc give the files a going over with Photoshop or other image processiong software. I found the pictures benefit from at least two doses of sharpening, adding red,taking a bit of blue out,adding colour saturation, reducing the brightness level.

If all this sounds too much you may consider getting a Sony or Olympus or Canon IXUS which seem more in tune with point and shoot operation. My (short) experience with the A75 is that you have to "drive it" like a manual SLR to get satisfactory image quality.

Nigel

Old Jun 4, 2004, 9:12 PM   #6

Some interesting comments. My A75 is my first digicam and i am quite happy for the $'s spend compared to others I have used (Fuji, HP, Pentax).

I will pay more attention to shots.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/spoon...5/IMG_0326.JPG
was taken the first weekend (few days) i had the camera using manual settings. Show was on the barrier, about 5m from the horses, a little zoom was used. Was 50m from the finish so they were full speed. Oh no tripod used, so i guess would be substantially better with tripod (which i just got ).

http://members.optusnet.com.au/spoon...5/IMG_0271.JPG

one of the first macro shots i did in "auto" folige mode, again no tripod, camera looking up above my head.

Spoonfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 6:04 AM   #7

Here is a link to my pics which I think have a "soft focus"/washed outlook to them.All my pics have this "look" to them.

These are some of the better ones.

None of the pics have any post processing done to them and are straight out of the camera.

http://www.pbase.com/asellus_nz/inbox

Given this is my first digicam I owned I have no idea if this is "normal" or not for a inexpensive 3 megapixel compact cam.

I would appreciate comments from users of A75/70/60 users who are used to knowing what their images look like under different conditions.

All the pics were taken in New Zealand under winter sun, in early and mid afternoon.I would rate myself as an experienced photographer with good knowledge, yet with a little digital camera experience. Ihave used a Samsung digicam before in Sydney under bright summer conditions, with every picture being satisfactory.

Focus is spot focus with AiAf turned off.

The galleries have some exif data.

Thanks very much

Nigel
Old Jun 6, 2004, 6:05 AM   #8

Here is a link to my pics which I think have a "soft focus"/washed outlook to them.All my pics have this "look" to them.

These are some of the better ones.

None of the pics have any post processing done to them and are straight out of the camera.

http://www.pbase.com/asellus_nz/inbox

Given this is my first digicam I owned I have no idea if this is "normal" or not for a inexpensive 3 megapixel compact cam.

I would appreciate comments from users of A75/70/60 users who are used to knowing what their images look like under different conditions.

All the pics were taken in New Zealand under winter sun, in early and mid afternoon.I would rate myself as an experienced photographer with good knowledge, yet with a little digital camera experience. Ihave used a Samsung digicam before in Sydney under bright summer conditions, with every picture being satisfactory.

Focus is spot focus with AiAf turned off.

The galleries have some exif data.

Thanks very much

Nigel
Old Jun 6, 2004, 7:40 AM   #9

yes they are unsharp, got me interested now.

i'll take some similar type shots with mine and see if it also bad.

i purchaed my A75 based on the samples/review steve did. The sharpness of those were very impressive (compared to pentax and other cam's i was considering)

Spoonfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 6:52 PM   #10

Hi im new here and also got a A75 about a month ago(my first upgrade since the old 1.3 MPFuji Mx1200!!). Overall I have been pretty happy with it but i do agree alot of times the pictures do come out blurry. Here are a few pics I took with the A75 over the last month. I also notice that in Auto mode it tends to be less focused then when in one of the others modes for some reason.

http://home.comcast.net/~falcor200/P...lear_Water.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~falcor200/P...rs_at_lake.JPG (Macro Mode one of my bestpics so far IMO)

http://home.comcast.net/~falcor200/Pictures/Beach.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~falcor200/Pictures/Rock.JPG

Falcor200 is offline   Reply With Quote