Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 7, 2004, 8:59 PM   #1

I want to buy a new digital camera and dye sub printer. I am only 16 years old, so the funds are fairly limited. I want to spend less than $350.00 for the camera and hopefully less than $200.00 for the printer. Is the A80 a good camera for the average person? How does it compare to the A75? Also, should I get the Hiti 630PS for general 4x6 prints? Can the 630PS use a car adapter? How does this printer compare to the printer you like and would you recommend it for someone who is only 16? Thanks!
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2004, 8:36 AM   #2
AMG

For the canon question, If I were you, I'd get the A75 which is cheaper than the A80, and then you could afford more towards a better printer. The difference between the A75 and the A80 is 200 pixels in width, and about 170 in height. I am assuming you will print 4x6 or 5x7 mostly. You can achieve great results even as big as an 8x10 with the A75, but I wouldn't waste money on more pixels if you aren't printing that big all the time. Keep im mind, you will have to get a good memory card, and good rechargeble batteries so the price of your camera is higher than you initially think it will be.
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 3:35 PM   #3

One thing that I like about the A80 is that the screen can be protected by flipping it around. However, the A75 has plastic over its screen, so in a case, it probably won't scratch either. My real concern is that I already have a Vivitar 3705, which is pretty bad, but it is also 3 megapixels. Will I even notice the difference since I am very much an amateur?
Old Jun 14, 2004, 1:25 AM   #4

Just a hint for the printer. The actual bubble-jets aren't that bad, you know? After a loooooong time with my Canon BJC 7000 I went for the Canon 560x now (need office paper work printed too) and am very pleased. More than enough picture quality for an amateur like me.

As for 3 Megapixel. A good 3 Megapixel cam (I tested the Canon S1 IS and in bright light it is fantastic) is enough even for A4 print. (we speak about amateur photography, right?)

Can't comment on the A80/A75 since I am searching for a good alround cam too. Good luck!
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 12:20 AM   #5

I looked at the Canon i860 and i960, but I did the math for the price per print, and assuming I use the highest quality paper, each 4x6 costs about $.75, whereas the Hi-ti prints are about $.40 to $.50 per print, so I'm gonna go dye-sub. However, I recently received a sample print from Hi-Touch, and I wasn't really all that impressed. The photo was of a girl holding a water bottlewith a parrot on her arm, and the whole thing seemed a bit blurry. Unfortunately, I can't tell whether the photo was blurry or if the printer is just very soft with detail. Any help?

I also checked the print resolution of 3MP vs. 4MP. Here are my results:

3MP=2048x1536=3145728 Divide by 80 because there are 80 square inches in an 8x10 print. 39321.6 dots per square inch. Divide by 16 because there are 16 .25 inch squares in one square inch. 2457.6 pixels per .25 inch square. Take the square root to find the dimensions of the square in pixels. 49.57. So, about 50 pixels by 50 pixels for a.25 inch square of an 8x10 inch image taken at 3MP.

Using the same process for 4MP, I found that the .25 inch square is about 55 pixelson each dimension, so there are 567 more pixelsper .25 inch square on an 8x10 print from a 4MP camera than on a 3MP camera. That seems very insignificant. I know that I have looked way too far into this, but please comment if youhave anything that would help me... Thanks!

Mike

Old Jun 15, 2004, 4:44 AM   #6

As for the costs: do the maths and decide whatever you think is best. My Canon 560x has four tanks (CMY and black) each available for about 10 EURO and I can change them individually. I use the medium quality glossy photopaper and buy whenever it is on sale For me vendor doesnt matter really

As for quality I would like to talk you into testing. Just go to your local store (we have "hands on days" here now and then) and tell them you want to test. Use a decent 3mpix cam in ISO 50 setting, no flash, no special effects and get some photos:
  • 1 portrait shot, I usually aim at eyes or hair[/*]
  • 1 macro shot, I usually use a plant/flower - be sure to get some leaves from it too[/*]
  • 1 landscape with sky, trees, buildings and stuff
[/*]
Furthermore
  • 1 low light shot with and without flash[/*]
  • 1 portrait (1 or two persons, I prefer 2) with flash
[/*]
And let them print it just out-of-the cam with 4 pics on a page A4 (letter size). Choose one or two of them to print on A4 page seperately. Judge in sunlight.

Or do another test. I downloaded the red brick building shot from Steves Canon S1 IS test. Cam has a 3.2 mpix sensor. 28x21 inches at 72 dpi from the cam translate to 10,2x7,7 inches at 200 dpi for a landscape A4 (letter) print or 7,9x5,9 inches at 260dpi. And thats enough for a sharp print. At least for me.

Take some pics from Steves tests with you on CD and go in a photo studio to let them print it on high-resolution photo printers and carry the same CD to a friend or your local printer shop to do a test print and see for yourself. If you was a "pro" 3 mpix wouldn't be enough I'd say but for enthusiast (or whatever it is spelled) the fun starts at 3 mpix I think.

Good luck!
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2004, 2:47 AM   #7

I bought an A80 and am waiting for that to arrive! Thanks for the help!