Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 9, 2004, 1:36 AM   #1

I Just bought my Canon 1S IS… but very disappointed by its battery life. I bought Kodak 2100 NiMH 1.2v rechargeable, and it's not even allowing me to run my 1S IS for 30 mins. Is it the Battery problem? Or 1S IS eats batteries like hell?

Also I bought 1.2v … does Canon need 1.5? Any help would be appreciated.

Sunil
sunil_khowal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2004, 1:15 PM   #2

Hello Sunil

Regular standard off the store self batteries seem to last only 30 minutes, I've have not test many sets just a 3 when the camera was new and I had not bought rechargeable as of yet.

I bought 3 sets of rechargeable NiMH batteries rated at 2300 mAh and 1.2V, they have been giving me 300 plus images and I like to zoom a lot.

I do use the view finder mostly but often use theLCD too to review moviesand still on scene.

Sad thing with this brand (DIGIPOWER) it takes 8 hour to recharge them.

The Canon PowerShot S1IS states in the back of it that the NiMH batteries be rated at 2300 mAh and 1.2V the lowest it said should be 2150mAh (nickel metal hydride batteries).

I hope this helps, just my experience so far........ I've had the camera for a month and a half now.

Ed

www.edhardy.ca
Frostbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 10:48 AM   #3

Sunil, I had the same problem and called Canon customer support. They told me that's quite normal, the S1 IS needs huge amount of power. I stated that with 2100mAh rechargables I expect more than just 60..130 pictures on average... according to the support guy you should be able to get around 200 pics in.

Personal experience: charge the batteries, plug em in and do continuous shots all the time with lowest picture size you easily can come close to 500 pics. But who does that normally? It was only me testing I guess.

The low amount of pictures AND the fact, that you can't use this cam 3 days in a row for those point'n shoot pictures (so lets say 100 pics in 3 days without recharging) is one reason why I give it back. Not the main reason, but one reason.

The Canon Customer Support told me the A80 has a much higher number of pictures per battery pack, numbers around 500. So maybe that helps.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 2:15 AM   #4

[align=center]Are you talking about just the first charge from new? I believe it takes quite a few cycles for the batteries to be at full strength from new so if they are hardly used hold off on estimating the battery life till they are used a bit.

[/align]
I have the Energizer 2.1AH NIMH's and went all this last weekend without charging them. This includes filling up a 512 CF card and uploading pics to the computer. (which takes ~10 mins. It's winter here so the temps were near freezing (some weresnow pics) so I'm very happy with how long these last. Haven't used the new backup set yet and now regret buying them. Should just carry a spare Alakline set as they have a much slower self discharge from what I read.
timotsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 3:51 AM   #5

Only 60-130 pics average??? At least my S1 can take more than 300 pics using 2200 mAh accus without charging and under real shooting conditions.
Perhaps the Canon support guy addressed the included Alkaline batteries.
In a german forum, a S1 user mentioned some abnormal problems with huge power consumption while the camera is turned off: http://www.a40-forum.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=4872
You can translate this with http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/

Peter.
raz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 5:17 AM   #6

Well, let me clarify.

I bought a charger / battery pack with 4x2100mAh. I charged them fully and did tests. Whenever they run out, I charge them. Took in plenty of pics (around 1.3GB JPEG data now). Since I test the cam I only have the 32MB card so I set image quality and size to medium/low safe the shots where I go for quality tests (JPEG artifacts and stuff). With all settings on low I am able to get in around 450..480 shots using continuous shooting modes. All done in about 10 minutes of time So thats ok.

But my normal behaviour is or would be: charge batteries over night and carry the cam with me the whole day taking shots, reviewing, deleting unwanted ones, use zoom and stuff, flash included at lets say 10-20% of the time. I couldnt manage to do that with my current setup. I had to recharge the cam at least 2 times, mostly 3-4 times a day if I shoot a mixture of fine pix/videos with reviewing and stuff.

Furthermore no "low battery" warning with the rechargeables. While the alcalines gave me that the rechargeables won't. From one shot to the next it says I shall replace batteries

Thanks for the hint Peter, I dont need translation since I am from Germany Covers my problems very well so I think it's really only this cam ... I will give it back anyway because of the terrible AF in low light so it doesn't matter to me anymore.

FYI: Charger and batteries are from Ansmann, so no no-name stuff.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 2:05 PM   #7

i have my canon s1 now for 3 months i use nimh 2350 accu's 1,25 volt,i went to italy for 6 days whitout changes batterys or recharcing when i came home they where still not empty so for me excellent,note: i hardly ever use the monitor i always look through the viewfinder.

pictures are excelent very good stabilisation good pictures even on 10 times zoom

very pleased with it.
ariecanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 2:41 PM   #8

check the last pages of instruction for the canon S1 - the recommend NiMH at least 2300 for use with this camera so i'm not suprised that batteries < 2300 have average power for this camera and last for few shots.... (nominal capacity : 2300 mAh (min. 2150 mAh))

i'm using 2300 Energizer for 2 days now (about 180 photos incl. zoom and flash) and still have enough power in accu......
_Bunio_[PL] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:32 AM   #9

i'm using energizer 2500mah and can't run em down fast enough, they last forever it seems...
bayoubooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 2:03 PM   #10

I may be wrong, but I recall reading somewhere either in my Powerex documentation or somewhere else that NiMH batteries need to be fully discharged and then recharged. The end result being that each time this is done the battery capacity increases and eventually you obtain a fully charged-long life battery.
Amateur Dave is offline   Reply With Quote