Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 12, 2002, 4:18 PM   #1

Default Anyone compare Nikon CP4500 vs. Canon G2?

Any input would be appreciated. Seems like the G2 may have a few more options (flashes) and better battery life but the Nikon is a bit smaller with a better zoom range and maybe more user-friendly. I am also considering the Canon S40.
goblue_esq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2002, 8:27 PM   #2

I've narrowed my camera choices down to the same ones...but also considering the Canon S40 & Olympus C4040. I'm anxious to hear some input on this too!
demies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2002, 11:16 PM   #3

These were the two cameras that I looked at when I upgaded from my nikon 950.

I discounted the Panasonic ?model? and the Olympus 4040 since they didn't use compact flash memory, and I didn't want to move to a different format.

As I've written in previous posts I think they're both good cameras.

The CP 4500 is much lighter than the G2 and it has a bit more of a zoom lens 4x than the G2's 3x.

The CP 4500 has a very different form factor than most cameras. If you like it - you tend to really like it. My CP 950 has the same form - my wife can't figure it out. If you intend to hand your camera to someone else to take pictures, bear this in mind.

The CP4500 has a higher ISO setting at 800, which is better then the G2's 400. This allows you to take pictures in lower light with a faster shutter speed. But reviews have shown that at 800 you'll see some noise in the image.

The G2 has a faster lens (f2 - 2.5) which is better than the CP4500's. The difference is (i think) one f stop, that gives you the ability to take a picture at a slower shutter speed, or a lower ISO level. This levels out the CP4500's higher ISO capability, but shooting at a more open f-stop will reduce your depth of field.

The CP4500 has a shorter focus distance - eg. you can shoot at something closer to you than the G2. That wasn't important to me, might be for you.

I went with the G2 because I wanted a hot shoe to attach an external flash to. To do so with the CP4500 you have to buy an adapter, that costs about $100 US.

I also prefer the G2's form factor vs. the 4500. The twist out screen is nice, you can shoot on a tripod and turn the screen to suit you. The disadvantage is that it doesn't look as strong as the a fixed screen. The CP5000 & 5700 have a similar setup, and they're Nikons top cameras before you get to the D100.

The CP 4500 has a smaller and what seems like darker viewscreen, a tradeoff of being a smaller camera.

I haven't found the Nikon best shot selector anything useful. I also prefered the buttons on the G2 - I found them more intuitive then the Nikon. I don't have to think too hard to change to spot metering, on the Nikon you have to get there going through the menu I recall.

The Canon has the 'creative mode' wheel which is similar to their SLRs, I do find that handy. But since both cameras will do aperature / shutter priority / manual you can get the same results by manually changing the settings.

Another point - if you have a film based camera with an external flash, or intend to get one, you might be wise to stick with that brand. I'm most likely going to stick with my Canon SLR - going with the G2 means I won't need two flashes.

The G2 has the superior battery. I suggest that you plan on buying a second battery for whatever camera you get.

One thing that I don't like about the G2 is the power up 'jingle'. My 950 can be set to make no noise at all which is handy when taking candid shots, I haven't figured out how to do the same with the G2.

Now that there are price reductions on the G2, I would tend to lean towards it even more. My camera was ~$160 more than the 4500, but I also got a leather case and second battery with my black edition kit, so the net difference was closer to $80. With the price reduction the two cameras cost about the same.

My suggestion is that you go to a reputable photo store and try all two (or 3 or 4). Quality wise - they're all good, it will come down to which feels better, which is easier to use etc.

You'll get better pictures with the camera you like the best and can use the best, not the one that has the better reviews.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 2:42 PM   #4

ursa,

Thanks for the comments - very helpful. In handling both I prefer the 4500 (and I like the 4X zoom) but no one seems disappointed with the G2. I have an acquitance that claims that the 4500 delivers landscape images that are not sharp and that the lens is substandard. The reviews seem to indicate that the 4500 delivers very good images. I may consider waiting for the G3 even though it's a bit more.
Old Sep 30, 2002, 2:14 PM   #5

Default Nikon 4500 vs. Canon G2

I was deciding between these two models as well and went with the Canon. I had owned a Nikon 990 that was stolen. I needed to replace it with a user friendly set up that had a TTL metering for a flash. Nikon currently does not offer that as far as I know. They do have cameras with a hot shoe, but you have to manually adjust the exposure.

The 990 had a terrible flash. It had spectacular macro capabilities which I enjoyed personally, but since the camera was primarily for our business use, I had to get something that would handle those requirements, which were the metering, ease of use, and wide-angle capability.

I ordered the camera through our insurance so I went off of reviews only. I was very disappointed to find that the wide-angle adaptor lens is just about useless. The barrel distortion is unbelievable. I am amazed that they would even put a product that bad on the market. They would have been better off to not even offer it.

If I could disregard that, I would probably really like the camera. While the macro capability isn't up to the Nikon standards, it is adequate and the flash is better and the camera is easier to use. The overall package is smaller due to the fact that the camera has a hot-shoe and it eliminates the need for the flash bracket.

If you can live without the wide-angle adaptor, you will probably be very happy with the Canon. The software that comes with it is also very nice.
DianeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2002, 12:49 PM   #6

Default Turn off that Jingle!

ursa,
You can turn off the "jingle" on the G2 by accessing the menu in the playback mode and lowering the "playback volume" to zero. That volume only gets used when playing back movie - but it also controls the "jingle", so you can eliminate that annoy startup sound. Cheers
zapdingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2002, 6:14 PM   #7

many thanks on that bit of info! i never use the movie mode - I have a camcorder for that.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2002, 9:34 AM   #8

Default Thanks for the responses

Still trying to make up my mind. I am going to head down to the store again and play with the features of each one. Sounds like either one would be a good choice.
Old Oct 11, 2002, 7:47 PM   #9

Default RE:

I too am considering the G2 and CoolPix 4500 and I am also considering the Coolpix 4300 and Olympus C4000. I haven't seen much as far as reviews go for the 4300 and C4000 does anyone have any negative feedback from these cameras?

so far the G2 and 4500 are my 2 favorites with the G2 slightly favor'd.

Don
Don Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote