Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 12, 2004, 2:06 PM   #1

Hello,

I am buying a new digital camera next week. I already have a Canon Ixus 300 and a Sony DC-U20. This Sony is a really small camera, which I have in my pocket all day. Perfect to have a digicam with me everywhere. Overall picture quality is pretty good considering its small size (the flash is not so good, and movies are small and without sound). I have bought it manly for its ultra compact size to have it always with me. If I have the intention to go out and take better pictures (or create MPG movies with sound), then I use my Ixus 300. I whish that this one would be smaller, so I could take it more with me.

That Ixus 300 is the one I would like to replace with any of the aboveā€¦

- I want a smaller camera then my current Ixus 300. It's just a bit too big and too heavy to take with my a lot. It weighs 240 grams.

- I want a minimum of 3 mega pixels and more is not absolutely necessary. More pixels are not a big buying argument for me.

- I want really good picture quality and still a very portable compact camera. Size does matter for me

- I take a lot of party pictures (low light situations), so I really like the Focus Assist light of my current Canon Ixus 300. This creates mostly sharp pictures and faster focusing in low light. With my Sony I have a lot of unsharp pictures in Low Light and always red-eyes with the flash. Red-eyes are also a lot better with my Canon, where this Focus Assist light also works against red eyes.

I hear you thinking; if you like the features of your Canon Ixus 300 so much then buy that Canon SD 110 or S 410.

Why am I considering the other cameras? My current Ixus 300 has a 3x zoom and the Canon S410, Pentax Optio S4i and Minolta Dimage XG also. The Canon SD 110 only has a 2x zoom lens and maybe I am going to regret that sometime (on holidays, etc)? The Minolta and the Pentax are also smaller then the Canon SD 110. That Pentax is so nice in size. The Canon S410 on the other hand is bigger in size then the SD110

- I switch a lot between Fill in flash, flash off and red-eye flash. With my Ixus and the normal and M mode this goes fast. How is this with the other cameras?

- Which one has the best overall picture quality?

- Which one takes the best picture in low light, and how is the flash (red-eyes)?

- Does the Pentax or the Minolta have a Focus Assist light?

If the quality is OK; I personally would lean towards the Canon SD 110?

Many thanks,
Franzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2004, 7:13 PM   #2

If money isn't *that* big of a deal, I'd go for the S400 (or S410 I guess).

From what I've researched, both the SD100 and the S400 take better pictures than the Pentax.

I just purchased an SD100 from Amazon for $210 and am very happy with it. In low-light situations I've yet to find a point-and-shoot camera that takes good pics without having to use a flash, which ends up ruining color, in my opinion.

Anyway, two of my siblings have S400s and I really like that cam. But money was a big issue for me and I haven't found that I'm missing the 3X zoom all that much. Still, I'd like to have an S400

Oh yeah, if you can find either the SD100 or the S400 cheaper than the SD110 or S410, go it. All the "10" models add is that print button or whatever. You can live without it, and save money, too!
strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 5:34 PM   #3

:?I thoughtSD110andS410 also have newer softwareand the same dedicated DIGIC processor then the older SD 100 / S400. If I'am going to buy one. It would be the newer S410 or SD110.

So you have an SD 100. Are pleased with. Do you think de picture quality is good and the pictures are sharp? How do you compare the size and weight of your SD 100 with theS400 of yoursibling? Is the difference in size and weight noticable?

Ixus S400 / S410 :87 x 57 x 28 mm / 185 g (6.5 oz)

Ixus SD 100 / SD110: 85 x 56 x 24 mm / 165 g (5.8 oz)

Why would youlike to have an S400 over your SD100. Only because the S400 has more pixels. Or do you think the overal picture quality is much better?

Thanks,
Old Jun 17, 2004, 1:44 PM   #4

The pixel difference isn't that huge. I don't mind. However, I actually prefer a little *bigger* camera! I think the S400 is perfect.

One other reason is the 3X zoom. The SD100 only has 2X. While I don't mind too much, a 3X would be nice.

Printing 4x6 prints, I can't tell a difference between the SD100 and the S400.

Though I have yet to take identical shots with both, I don't believe the image quality is too different. I don't have the most critical eye though. But I don't believe the difference isn't severe.

I'm perfectly happy with the SD100. My main gripe is that fingerprints appear on the body fairly easily.

If you're looking to not print beyond 5x7 or 8x10, save yourself the money and grab the SD100.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 4:10 PM   #5

8x10 would be the maximum print size I would use. I actually prefer a little *smaller* camera and I don't mind the fingerprints Some SD 100 and SD 110 user complain about a general unsharpness-softness is al their pictures.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 12:59 PM   #6

I haven't found that to be the case. You can try shooting in manual mode and changing the light setting. That seems to help.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 11:19 AM   #7

Thanks for the info