Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 13, 2004, 4:44 AM   #1

Hi, the S1 IS doesn't focus in dim light, and I mean not darkness, just not bright daylight. Where I could take great shots at ISO 100 or 200 with 1/30 or 1/60 with any other camera that darn thing doesn't gets EASY things sharp

Anyone a hint for me?

TIA
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2004, 1:57 PM   #2

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
Hi, the S1 IS doesn't focus in dim light, and I mean not darkness, just not bright daylight. Where I could take great shots at ISO 100 or 200 with 1/30 or 1/60 with any other camera that darn thing doesn't gets EASY things sharp

Anyone a hint for me?

TIA
My S1 performs satisfactorily in "low light," whatever that means. You can increase the speed of shooting by using hyperfocal settings and saving them to the Custom mode. For example, set aperture to f/5, manual focus to about 6 feet (or 2 meters), ISO to 200or 400and flash to ON or OFF as you like. These setting will permit quick response and speeds thatmay (depending on your steadiness) permit acceptably sharp images. Remember, IS is will only partially help steady the camera and offer you about two stops of additional aperture or shutter speed than you would get without IS on.
For more on hyperfocal, go here:
http://www.marcjutras.com/ehyperfocal.html
or here:
http://dfleming.ameranet.com/dofjs.html

jpmccormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 5:55 AM   #3

Thanks for the hint. But that's manual focussing roughly. If I set the cam to AF, then it tries to get the image sharp and moves through the whole "distance range" blurring the image more or less and doesnt stop at the sharp point, although I see on the screen that it is there. The cam stops then at some random point

The trick is very nice and will help me a lot, so again thank you, but doesn't solve my AF problem
Old Jun 17, 2004, 6:48 AM   #4

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=8508900
(btw, don't work for me ;-)
baman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 12:52 PM   #5

A cheap laser pointer. Just a thought.
Sony uses a laser type focus assist on some of their cameras.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 1:21 PM   #6

For what it's worth, the G5 I owned was awful focusing in low light, expecially if the zoom was set into the tele range.

Fact of the matter is I do not think AF-assistbeams work as good as advertised in digicams. Canon could have made the G- series a winner if they had only allowed the infrared focus beam of the separate shoe mounted EXflash units to be used with them, but alas they did not, so anything beyond 3-4 feet was frustrating. Sometimes it wouldn't even focus that close.

Until makers get AF performance in line with even cheap film point & shoot cameras this is always going to be a problem. Heck, the $79 Olympus Stylus Epic will shoot rings around any digicam when it comes to low-lightAF performance. Today about your only alternative for good low-light AF is a digital SLR.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 12:17 PM   #7

Greg,
For you to say that the $ 79.00 Olympus Epic is better than any digicam is nothing but...sorry......>>>> NONSENSE !
One of the cameras I have is a Sony Mavica MVC-CD500 that uses the "laser hologram" as part of the focus assist and it works flawlessly.
Lets get back to the question of Thk777. He or she has a camera with a low light focus problem and he or she wants tips or tricks on how to get in to focus .
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 5:23 AM   #8

I am a "he" John The forum name is a looooong time tradition and can't decide to use another, sorry.

I did the same tests with the Olympus C-770UZ I did with the Canon S1 IS.

To my own surprise the Olympus, while not beeing "perfect" took about 50-75% of the low light pics sharp. Even pics with the flash in almost complete darkness came out ok at that rate.

One thing I noticed is that the AF working range is another than in bright light. When I was too close to the object it blurred most of the time, some more distance and I had a good chance.

Since both cameras use almost the same technique I don't understand why the results are so different - is it me?

Results with the Oly were generally better when in wide mode and almost the same in telefoto range - the more telefoto the harder for the AF.

Well yes - a laser pointer. Ummmm - I thougt the camera making company would be willing to include a working AF in a cam worth $400+ really. So yes - there are solutions and it's a really nice hint, thanks! But you know... if you buy a car with a wiper to get the rain from your windshield... and it works only in daylight... at night you have to use some cloth now and then - how would you feel? Bad example I know :P