Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 14, 2004, 3:26 PM   #1

I a interested in this camera, appear to ideal for me, but I need a good macro capability.
Has this camera a real macro? I cant find any macro function...
Has anybody a macro images of this camera to post? I appreciate it.
What is the minimal macro area?.

Thanks in advance.
mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2004, 3:54 PM   #2

From Imaging Resource:

"
Closeups: Very good macro performance, with good detail. However, the flash is blocked by the lens and doesn't throttle down enough. The S1 IS did quite well in the macro category, capturing a minimum area of 2.17 x 1.63 inches (55 x 41 millimeters). Resolution was high, and fine detail was strong in the dollar bill and coins. However, the coins and brooch were soft due to the very short shooting distance. (Not at all the camera's fault, depth of field is very shallow in extreme closeups like this.) A small amount of softness was noticeable in the corners along the left side of the frame, but it didn't seem too bad. The S1 IS' flash was partially blocked by the lens, and didn't throttle down for the macro area."

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 8:32 PM   #3

No, there is no Macro setting, per se. At its widest setting (38mm equiv.) the S1 will focus as close as 3.9 inches. At the longest zoom setting (380mm equiv.) the S1 will focus as close as 3 feet. I rarely use the flash for macro as it's always sunny where I live (Florida, USA):-). There are a few "macro" shots on my pbase.com S1 site at: http://www.pbase.com/jpmccormac/s1

jpmccormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 10:16 PM   #4

Thanks, so much.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 8:06 AM   #5

I took this with my S1 and an add- on macro lens. Any comments good or bad or suggestions on improving close up shots would be appreciated. I set the aperature to f8 but the focus range is pretty small, and I`m trying to decide if this lens is a keeper.
Attached Images

z2me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2004, 7:50 PM   #6

Dear z2me2: What type of macro lens Do you use?
I am interested.
Thanks.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 6:30 AM   #7

jpmccormac wrote:
Quote:
No, there is no Macro setting, per se. At its widest setting (38mm equiv.) the S1 will focus as close as 3.9 inches.
maybe a much more usable information that in this situation (widest setting) the working distance is approximately 4 cm (between the front lense and the subject). it's a tangible value in contrast to the focusing distance of the lens, which is measured from the film plane to the subject. am i right? ;-)

and yes, in this case you can fill the capture window with a 55mm thing as quoted above. if you need more you can use the canon 500d close-up lens and you will able to fill the picture with 35mm (and moreover it's without any barrel distortion, but/and a very thin DoF [which i love]).

maybe z2me2 use this one too, but if not: i'm curious and hope he will share the secret with us! :-)
baman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:42 AM   #8

hey! here's a page with some test shots with/without the 500d for comparison purposes (and not for art ;-)
http://ingradbaman.tripod.com/s1is/500de.html
baman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2004, 7:06 PM   #9

:-)
Old Jun 25, 2004, 9:34 AM   #10

jpmccormac wrote:
Quote:
No, there is no Macro setting, per se. At its widest setting (38mm equiv.) the S1 will focus as close as 3.9 inches. At the longest zoom setting (380mm equiv.) the S1 will focus as close as 3 feet. I rarely use the flash for macro as it's always sunny where I live (Florida, USA):-). There are a few "macro" shots on my pbase.com S1 site at: http://www.pbase.com/jpmccormac/s1

Thanks for some great images - I have been searching reviews/forums for pics - you have just convinced me to go and buy the S1. I have read lots of good comments and afew bad re- poor light focusing, lense cap, etc but your images just speak volumes!!
tassieboy is offline   Reply With Quote