Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 16, 2004, 5:39 AM   #1

After reading to many reviews, and looking at a lot of pictures not beeing able to decide which is best, I have settled down on a few cameras.

Seems like the Canon A80 or S50 is thelast to candidates, while the HP R707 is somwhere on third place (and not completely ruled out yet). Sony DSC-W1 looked good for a while but I don't like the pictures from it. Not completely sure about the R707 pictures either.

S45 is not available in Norway (and Europe, AFAIK), and the S60 is 25% more expensive than S50. I really don't think the S60 is that much better.

So it really stands between the A80 and S50 (almost the same price here, when you add batteries and charger to the A80). 4MP vs. 5MP is no big deal. The major thing is picture quality. After reading several reviews, stating different problems, I am confused. I know the S50 a little, some relatives have it and I have seen "real world" photos from it and like them very well. The reason why I find A80 interesting is the flip-out LCD display. So if someone knows both, I would be very happy to know how they compare.

My only concern with Canon A80 and S50 is the shutter lag, taking a lot of family pictures children tends to move between my finger pressing and the shutter taking action. Canon seems to be on the less good side when such things are compared. Having usedan old Epson PhotoPC 800, I find that one bad regarding this. I guess modern cameras might be better.

Ola

opresterud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2004, 10:43 AM   #2

Hi,

I juste bought an A80 by Christmas 2003, and I already shot 3 Go of photos. The quality is so good!!! One of my friend owns the S400, and the quality is same as the A80. It depends on what you do most of the time with your camera. If you want to have it always ready in your pocket, go for the S500, because even if the A80 is small, you'll have the impression of weight in your pocket (4 AA), you have to borrow a bag with you. Why I chose A80 is for the flipping LCD and the fast rotating switcher on the top. Very practical in almost situations. You don't have to browse menus, like for the S500. A80 is very robust too, event if not all metal like the S500. my gf drop it on cement, but nothing else than little scratches occured.

Another point is the A80 uses 4AA batteries. It last for a 256 Mo CF, with the LCD always open, and a lot of playback. Batteries are less expensive compared to power-block coming with the S500. And you can easily find a 1-2hours fast charger!

So for me A80 is a better choice, but if you want to always have you camera in your pocket, S500 is a better choice, but you don't have the 14function rapide switcher.

Hope this will help you...

(sorry for my english, I'm French Canadian)

jaqm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 11:17 AM   #3

Wow!!! MY MISTAKE!!!

I thought you were talking about the S500 ELPH... so sorry. I will either let my last post.

For myself, I would recommand A80 just for the flipping LCD (I use it to shoot from every angle - side, under, etc...) and 5MP is not a big deal for the 4MP and the 4AA (read last post).

I put a transparent protective screen (2$ at RadioShack) just to be sure not to scratch the lcd, and I don't fear to put the camera in my pocket with the LCD closed.

So sorry for my mistake...
Old Jun 16, 2004, 1:55 PM   #4

I can't speak to the S50, but I am seriously considering the new S60. Looking critically at Steve's pictures (chimneys in building) shows the 5mp lens of the S60 produces a sharper image than the 4mp of the A80. Over the S60, the A80 has the rotating LCD, AA batteries, 2 custom modes, and is $150 less.

Over the A80, the S60 has 5mp, braketing option for focus and exposure, 1.8" LCD, 28-100 range lens, adjustable flash in all modes, 640/480 movie, custom photo effect option, CF II card capability, smaller size - more pocketable.

I have an A80 on trial, and it is a fine camera, but I've anxious to try out the S60 which is very hard to come by in the stores at this point.

Dave
Old Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 2:08 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback!

'jaqm01', doesn't matter that you compared it to the S500 (that is, Canon Digital IXUS 500 here in Europe). It gave me a stronger confidence to buy the A80 :-) To be honest, that is the camera I really want because of the flip-out LCD.

'Old Rooster', the S60 is definitively looking good. But it is a little to expensive for my budget at the moment, I need to buy a good 512MB CF in addition to the camera.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 5:24 AM   #6

I'm sure you'll be happy with the A80. For those who have had it a while, that flip-out LCD seems to be a critical component, and something they say they can't live without! It might well be what will lean me to the A80 as well.

Dave
Old Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 10:17 AM   #7

Old Rooster wrote:
Quote:
I'm sure you'll be happy with the A80. For those who have had it a while, that flip-out LCD seems to be a critical component, and something they say they can't live without! It might well be what will lean me to the A80 as well.

Dave
Yessss, I'm one of those!!! especially when there's a lot of people in front of me and I want to take a shot of a stage, for example, I can hold camera up to head and be able to see action. Or when there's a lot of sun, I can't see a thing on the lcd, so after doing a rotation of the screen, I see everything.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 10:39 AM   #8

Got the A80 today, along with a 512MB CF and some 2Ah Hähnel batteries. The first look on it seems good, now it is digging into the features so I can use the most of it :-)

Thanks for all the feedback!