Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 16, 2004, 1:10 PM   #1

now that i have own the s1is,love its features,hates its autofocus.have missed 99% of my shots,which camera offers true continous autofocus with speed.canon insulted the market by claiming continous autofocus.
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2004, 2:34 PM   #2

Do you have continuous set in the mode menu? Most cameras default to single focus because it uses less battery than continuous focus. And make sure the little green square is on what you intend to have in focus.

If you have it set in continuous focus with the green square on what you want to focus on and things not moving toward or away from the camera faster than say 6mph aren't staying in focus you might consider taking the camera back and getting another one.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 3:30 PM   #3

The S1 also does better focusing in the normal zoom ranges (3x-5x) beyond that mine does have difficulty focusing... so I take a few steps closer and the focus locks on.
Kukur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 6:55 PM   #4

my setting is on continous ,dont mind battery drain,is just that i see a pictre i want to take,in the view finder it looks great,i snap,an see something different.that lag time is killing me
Old Jun 16, 2004, 7:14 PM   #5

slipe wrote: thanks siipe,got an idea from jpmccormac using hyperfocal,most of my complaints are in low light conditions
Quote:

Do you have continuous set in the mode menu? Most cameras default to single focus because it uses less battery than continuous focus. And make sure the little green square is on what you intend to have in focus.

If you have it set in continuous focus with the green square on what you want to focus on and things not moving toward or away from the camera faster than say 6mph aren't staying in focus you might consider taking the camera back and getting another one.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 7:21 PM   #6

With continuous focus on it will continue to focus if you pre-focus with the shutter half depressed. Lag is less than a tenth of a second with pre-focus. Even the normal focus is fast for that zoom range camera. You won't find anything better and probably not as good with a long zoom range:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...s1-IS-DATA.HTM You should normally shoot with pre-focus. Without continuous focus you have to release the shutter and depress it again if something moves before you take the shot. With continuous focus you can hold the pre-focus until you get the shot you want.

There is another problem with EVF cameras in that there is a lag between what is happening in the real world and what you see in the viewfinder. I don't know what the EVF lag time is for the S1 but it is often around a tenth of a second. All long zoom cameras I know of use EVF because it seems hard to get an optical finder to zoom that much.

You can take it back but you will find whatever long zoom you replace it with is going to be at least as bad. It is a good tool – you just have to learn to use it.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 8:11 PM   #7

slipe wrote:
Quote:
thanks slipe,but just tried what jpmccormac sujested using hyperfocal in custom mode,an it works like a charm,am in love with my s1 once again,got a perfect focused picture in a totally dark room with flash

With continuous focus on it will continue to focus if you pre-focus with the shutter half depressed. Lag is less than a tenth of a second with pre-focus. Even the normal focus is fast for that zoom range camera. You won't find anything better and probably not as good with a long zoom range:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...s1-IS-DATA.HTM You should normally shoot with pre-focus. Without continuous focus you have to release the shutter and depress it again if something moves before you take the shot. With continuous focus you can hold the pre-focus until you get the shot you want.

There is another problem with EVF cameras in that there is a lag between what is happening in the real world and what you see in the viewfinder. I don't know what the EVF lag time is for the S1 but it is often around a tenth of a second. All long zoom cameras I know of use EVF because it seems hard to get an optical finder to zoom that much.

You can take it back but you will find whatever long zoom you replace it with is going to be at least as bad. It is a good tool – you just have to learn to use it.