Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 21, 2004, 2:03 PM   #1

First off, thank you for having this site. It has been a true blessing and has answered a lot of questions not even the pro's down here in Miami have been able to answer. But my head is spinning....:?

My wife tells me last week she wants to give me a camera for fathers day/birthday. So she asked which one I wanted. Not the easiest question, as I've come to find. After a week of research and a day after Father's day, I've narrowed my choices down to two camera's, the S50 and S60. The S50 is no longer in production and has been replaced by the S60; however, those few S50 out there are being sold for a bit less than the S60, about $50; no biggie. My question is, as the S60 has improved in some areas, has the camera sufferedin quality in any way?Between the two, which would you choose?

I know there is higherzoom capability
Higher resolution in motion
Better lens? Is it better or cheaper for cannon?

Should i choose the S60, my bottom line is that the pictures are as good if not better that the S50.

My only grip about the S60 is that it's not black!

Again, thank you in advance for you time.

Anthony

AnthonyMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2004, 5:24 PM   #2

from now on s60 can be got. s60 is an improved model of s50.But picture quality seems the same.just as you say s60 has ahigher zoom,wider angle,Higher resolution in motion and a few buton replacements on the body.Both of them are good cameras.if I were you I would buy s60.and thesilver body is better than the black one as for me.
civil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 7:34 PM   #3

I have bought the S60 and used it for less than a day and returned it to the place I bought it. The camera was defected. Maybe I was unlucky, but the picture quality is great. I recommend you the S60, but not as enthusiastically as I would since I have experienced some quality issuewith the S60.
secondtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 10:02 PM   #4

I can't give you any opinions on the S60, but I can tell you that Ithe S50 is a great little camera and thatyou may be able to find the S50 much cheaper. Office Depot recently clearanced this camera for $175 before a $50 rebate. If you're lucky you may still be able to find one with stock, otherwise, there's always Ebay.

KuoH

AnthonyMX wrote:
Quote:
The S50 is no longer in production and has been replaced by the S60; however, those few S50 out there are being sold for a bit less than the S60, about $50; no biggie.
KuoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 10:06 PM   #5

Thank you for your responses. I know this is totally subjective, general and vague to ask you guys which camera is better. But I've seen a few questionablecomments on the S60's picture performance. And it wouldn't be the first time I see the quality of great product be compromised for squeeze in newer technologies.I've studied the improvements and have AB'd the two on paper, andthey would be beneficial to me; however, not if the end product (the hard copy) suffers.I was hoping to get a sneak preview to what some folks here think, or who have had experience with the S50 vs. S60.

I hope the reviews here come out soon!

Thank again!
AnthonyMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 2:24 AM   #6

I have been using S50 and I really like it.and I also used a Drebel for a long and sold it.I think the only differences between them is ;Drebel has a lower noise rate.But The picture quality is not very different from each other.I always prefer a smaller compact camera which can take as good as photos than a bulky and more expensive one like Drebel.So you can have it with you all the time and everywhere thanks to small body of a compact camera.

I did not use S60,so I cant say anything about it.
civil is offline   Reply With Quote