Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 26, 2004, 6:30 PM   #1

We just bought a Canon Powershot S500. I've been testing it out and although it's not an slr, it's not bad. However, I took a photo of a deep, dark purple flower and it wasn't even close. I tried all the various temsettings and still could not get close. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I know the quality is not very good, but I was just checking color reproduction.

Thanx,

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2004, 10:48 PM   #2

It may not be an SLR, but it should produce proper images. I see roughly two problems with this photo. The flowers seem saturated by the purple colour because it's blurred from incorrect focusing combined with a long exposure. The DOF looks pretty bright (including the flower stem), so I imagine this shot was taken with a slow shutter on a bright day. Could you provide some extra detail? Have you taken other shots, possibly from further back? Did they exhibit the same effect? Have you tried manual mode and forced certain settings to take the picture?
TheGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 12:01 AM   #3

I changed to manuel and tried all the white balance settings. The one above, taken on auto, and the one taken on "daylight" were the only ones that had the background correct. I did it a number of times the next day, and they were the same. It didn't matter if I was close to the subject or farther away, the flowers came out the above color.

Ron
Old Jun 27, 2004, 12:07 AM   #4

Just at a glance, it looks like the magenta channel is oversaturated and hence the camera cannot render purple accurately (it's not to do with white balance settings).

Try dialing in underexposure of -1EV in the camera, take the shot and post process to correct the exposre with curve, levels or brightness functions and see if the results differ.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 2:09 PM   #5

Onyx,
Thanx for the suggestions. The color is much improved, although still not dead on:

Still out of focus though...

Ron