Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 27, 2004, 3:11 PM   #1

Hello... i was wondering if i could receive some help. I've had my camera for about 3 weeks now, and i've been going through all the settings and doing different test shots. For some reason, when i take the flash off, every picture I take is blurry. I cannot figure it out for the life of me. I'll put the flash on, using the same pose, and the picture looks bright, beautiful and perfect. However, once i turn that flash off.... things turn for the worse. I was wondering if anyone had a solution to this problem. I dont think i'm doing anything wrong... unless you have to do something completely different when shooting without flash.

Thanks for the help!
scb175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2004, 8:41 AM   #2

If it's a bit dim or you're shooting moving objects you will need to up the ISO- blur is often caused by the camera sticking in ISO50 and leaving the shutter open longer. The darker it is the longer it stays open. Higher ISOs will cause more noise but my s400 seems to be pretty good even at ISO200. Better than missing the shot.
whittonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 6:14 PM   #3

sorry for the late response... thanks for the info. I havent tested your method out yet, as i'm just starting to get used to this camera. I'm new to the whole dig. camera technology as well, so these new terms are confusing at first.

I appreciate your explanation on solving the problem
Old Jun 30, 2004, 6:22 PM   #4

If i could ask another question..

I took some picturesa couple weekends ago (inside), and when i loaded them on the computer, they all had terrible red eye. I mean, this is severe blazing red eye which is pretty much impossible to fix with photoshop. I've tried my best to make them look decent, but in reality, the pictures are just ruined. I'm really disappointed to say the least. I was using flash (of course), and was taking closeups and distant shots... all have red eye.

I know this is a problem with digital cameras, but there has to be a solution to improve the quality. Maybe there is another setting that i'm not seeing, or i might just be doing something wrong. I'musing the red eye reduction flash, butis it possible that it could be broken? I cropped one of my pictures to show how severe it is.

Please help

Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2004, 4:38 PM   #5

Also, the shutter lag is more obvious in lower light. ie you need to press the shutter half way, WAIT for the beep and THEN push the shutter down all the way. That way, you are letting the camera focus.

To raise the ISO even to 100 is also a good idea.
Basia is offline   Reply With Quote