Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 28, 2004, 9:02 PM   #1

Canon manual for S! is suggets you can make a movie upto 60 minutes with 1 gb card. The manual also recomends a high speed flash card. Any recommendations for a high speed 1 gd flash card?
officialpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2004, 4:02 PM   #2
Administrator

The Transcend 45X 1GB card is good and not too expensive.

http://www.memoryonthemove.com/scrip...p?idproduct=44
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2004, 7:07 PM   #3

Thanks Steve - I had the same question. All I have is a 256mb card which barely makes the grade for photos. Eventually I'll get the 1Gb when prices come down below the cost of an actual camera itself! :roll:

Officialpain: if you're thinking about movies- I would consider just getting a camcorder unless there is a real compelling reason to use the camera instead.
Snooptonydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 11:32 AM   #4

Snooptonydog: how fast can prizes go down nowadays? Can you tell me when do you think willthe prizes better for buy? In case of cameras are the seasons relation with prizes?

Sorry about stupid questions.. :roll:
IpRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 8:03 PM   #5

I use a sandisk Ultra 2 (512m) and this works fine. Make sure you purchase a high speed card as some have reported the 'normal' versions (eg standard sandisk card) do stop recording after a time as they can't keep up.

The Qn is what is high speed. I rang Canon Australia and was none the wiser so your best bet is to choose what others report to work. They just said 'buy a high speed card'. I said 'what speed is high speed' and they replied ' a high speed one'

Real helpful!!
timotsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 1:00 AM   #6

I waited until 3MP cameras with good optical zoom were below $500 which took 2 years. In general prices drop by 1/2 every 2 years? but that is beginning to slow somewhat.

As for best deals - obviously when company introduces newer model the last model drops considerably. I'm thinking about Konica Minolta Z2 now that the Z3 is out. Watch Z2 price start to drop 50 bucks or so.

And of course - like all electronics, X-mas time usually brings the deals out on models about to be replaced by newer ones. So Z2 should have great deal around holidays.
Snooptonydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 2:43 PM   #7
IC

I'm thinking about buying a Canon S1 IS but am concerned about the memory card compatibility problems reported in this forum and the need for a "high speed" card for top quality video.

1. Are the Kingston CompactFlash 1024 MB Elite Proor the PretecCF 1GBHigh Speedcards fast enough to record the highest quality video?

2. Has anyone experienced any compatibility problems with these cards?

IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 2:24 PM   #8

Snoop: I wouldn't buy a Z2. It has no image stabilization. My friend has one and his pics at high zoom or at night come out blurry. Could be him, of course but i think it's the camera.

Also, I'm thinking of getting S1 myself. I thought there were problems with a transcend card? How about those type2 sandisk 1g cards? Costco has a good deal now.. 1G for $99.
coontie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 2:42 PM   #9
IC

People say the S1 requires a high speed CF card for the best video. Does this mean that the highest quality video is simply available or unavailable depending on the card. Or does it mean that the faster the card you have the better the video?

In other words will a 36xcard produce better video than a 5x card even though they're both considered "high speed"?
IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2004, 10:27 AM   #10

hmmm... I have only a normal Sandisk 256mb on my S1 IS butit record fine at 640x480 at 30fps. Although its only over a minute.?
judell74 is offline   Reply With Quote