Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 30, 2004, 11:35 AM   #1
Rae

Please, I need help, trying to buy my first digital camera, have used a couple of the large boxy type, do not want that kind. After checking different sites, reading all I can on the cameras, reading reviews,thought I would buy the A75 but, I keep reading about noise. What kind of noise, is it loud? Want to take indoor and outdoor pictures, $250.00 is my top price range.

Found an onlinecamera store that has the A75 for $224.00, no tax, free shipping, through Saturday.

Any help is much appreciated.

Rae

Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2004, 12:27 PM   #2

Noise is fine on the A75. Steve didn't mention it at all and Dave at imaging resources commented only on the night shots and said:
"Image noise was low throughout the ISO 50 and 100 series, and only moderate at ISO 200. However, at ISO 400, image noise was quite high. A very good performance overall though, particularly for an entry-level camera."

You won't likely be shooting at ISO400 unless you are pushing the available light capability of the camera. For normal photos it is an excellent camera for that price.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 1:31 PM   #3

Rae,

When you hear the word"noise" and digital cameras, sound isn't the meaning, it is image noise, or grain. At lower ISO ratings like 100 the image is very clean, smooth, its easy to see the smaller details. As you go up to 400 the noise factor raises up quite a bit. The image looks grainy (a film word there as a reference) and smaller detail gets lost in this "noise". Clean at ISO 100, moderate at ISO 200 and grainy at ISO 400 are pretty standard fare for digicams. Most any model you look at will have the same profile because the image sensor itselfin alot of cases, even among different camera brands,is from the same maker.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 2:16 PM   #4
Rae

Thank you so much for the help. Think that learning to use a digital camera, and take pictures could be a fun hobby.

One other question, do you know anything about Ritz Camera Online? Had any dealing with them?

Thanks again, feel better about this camera now.

Rae

Old Jun 30, 2004, 2:44 PM   #5

Ritz is a very good place to shop. You can do better on the A75 at Butterfly – I wouldn't touch the two cheaper places:
http://shopping.com/xPC-Canon_PowerS...~S-6~OR-0~PG-1
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 3:10 PM   #6
Rae

Slipe, thanks, I will check out Butterfly, any money I can save will help. As long as they have a good return policy in case item is defective.

Thanks,

Rae

Old Jun 30, 2004, 6:26 PM   #7

I own a A75 and I found the noise to be quite high at ISO 100 or above, especially when compared to a Point to Shoot Sony model like P8. If you really need to minimize the noise or grain the pictures, you have to use the P mode to set it to ISO50 at all time. The scene modes thenare not kind of useful after all as it has automatic ISO setting and the camera will tend to use ISO 100 or above.

Try to get a A80, it has a larger CCD and I am guess it should have less noise than the A75.

EddiePCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 8:20 PM   #8
Rae

EddiePCS,

Thanks, for the information, I know so little about digital cameras but, you already know that by the questions I ask. Appreciate any advice.

I just want a camera that produces good pictures.

Rae
Old Jul 6, 2004, 4:04 AM   #9

Rae,

I just bought a Canon A80 after spending time in a store with the Canon A75, A80 and S1 IS cameras. The price on the A80 had just dropped to $299. My reasons for buying the A80 are quality of materials and photo quality. I took my own memory card to Staples and took sample shots with the cameras and then brought them home to compare on my computer.

The A80 had more vivid colors than the other three and the S1 had quite noticable purple fringing, the A75 only slight and the A80 took the same shot with no noticable PF.

The A75 and S1 both have plastic cases, the A80 has about 75% external metal shell and the rest is plastic. If you look at pictures of the A75 and A80 from reviews, look for the attachment point for the wrist strap. On the A75 it is scalloped out of the plastic corner, on the A80 it is a metal ring that protrudes from the side. If you can find a store with both the A75 and A80 to compare then you will see what I am trying to convey.

The swiveling LCD is much more useful in practice than I had imagined. Of the ~150 shots I took on the Blue Ridge parkway this afternoon, over 100 were with the lcd swiveled (like while chasing some bumble bees around a bunch of flowers).

The current low price for the A80 is $244 but DigitalFoto and BuyDigi are less than $255, excellent price and reputable companies.
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...&mode=googleph

Which ever you choose, keep in mind that you will also want:
-larger memory card (I can get over 200 1024x768 pics on a 128meg CF card)
-small camera bag (I got a great $4 Samsonite at Walmart)
-rechargable NiMH batteries, 2 sets: Walmart should have Rayovac and Energizer chargers and batteries. These are good and easily found, don't buy the generic "digital camera rechargable batteries" next to the camera display. They won't help if the batteries leak in your camera.

I hope this is useful info, here is a cropped macro shot I took a few days ago.
Attached Images

djand is offline   Reply With Quote