Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 1, 2004, 7:08 AM   #1

I bought tha Canon PowershotS1 ISlast week on a business trip to Germany. I also bought a Dane-Elec 512MB CF card. This card will record images, which I can review on the camera, but I cannot download the saved images using either the bundled Canon software, or even by trying to download to my laptop by seeing the camera as a HDD. My software just says that there are no images to download.

All my other CF cards work perfectly in both my cameras, including the 512MB Dane Elec card.

Also, the Dane-Elec card works fine in my other camera - just not in the Canon. My problem is I am now in South Africa and of course the card is not warranteed here. I have tried re-formatting the card in the Canon camera, but no luck.

Any suggestions?

As an aside the Canon only came with German instructions - fortunately I was able to download an English manual in PDF from an USA website - thank you USA!
Alantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2004, 4:25 PM   #2

I use DaneElec 256 cards in my Canon camera - no probs, have also used them in one or two other cameras. Suggest telling the camera to re-format the card...?

ccomley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 8:20 AM   #3

It seems that I have exactly the same problem... :sad:
It happens for me with a Transcend 512 MB (30x).
I've tested this card with a G3 and a A70 and it works.
I've also tested three other cards in my S1 IS (a PNY 128, a Lexar 512 and the bundled Canon 32) and they all work.

Here is the complete description of the problem:
- Take one or more pictures. If you switch to play mode, you can see your pictures -> OK.
- Turn off the camera, turn on directly to record mode, and then switch to play mode, you can see your pictures -> OK.
- Now turn off the camera, turn on directly to play mode, nothing's happenind during say 15 secondes, and the camera prints "no picture" -> FAILURE.
- After that, if you switch to record mode, and you try to take a shot, the camera prints "compact flash failure" -> FAILURE

If you connect the camera to your computer, this is equivalent to the turn-on-directly-to-play-mode and so the camera tells the computer that there is no image.

Strange, isn't it?

Does somebody else have the same problem?

Do we need to ask Canon for a firmware update? How to do this?

PS: for Alantom, try turn on your camera to record mode, and then connect it to the computer, and then switch the camera to play mode. this works for me.
adrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 4:26 PM   #4

:sad:I recently bought an S1 and purchased a Kingston 1 gig flash card for it. I have the same problem that you have. It supposedly is the exis file disappearing. I can see the pictures through my card reader but the not the camera or USB connection. Canon wants to blame Kingston. I sent the card back to Kingston who graciously sent me a new one. same problem. I tried the card in a Minolta and it works fine. Kingston said that they have seen the problem before and a camera firmware upgrade will repair the problem. Canon refuses to accept responsibility. The support supervisor told me that there is only so much Canon will do for me. I have found other postings for card incompatibility with Canon cameras. I am writing the CEO of Canon Mr. Uchida. Any other suggestions???
futar11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2004, 5:10 AM   #5

It seems that the Canon IXUS II had the same kind of problems with some SD cards. And Canon provided a firmware for that.

See for instance http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/ixus2/ixus2_firmware-e.html

Maybe this can be a good argument to prove they can sometimes make mistakes (everybody can!)
adrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 8:43 AM   #6

oki, here my experience with 2! compact flash Kingston 512mb (after i had one returned to the shop) - The Problem:

- Take one or more pictures. If you switch to play mode, you can see your pictures -> OK.

- Turn off the camera, turn on directly to record mode, and then switch to play mode, you can see your pictures -> OK.

- Now turn off the camera, turn on directly to play mode, nothing's happenind during say 15 secondes, and the camera prints "no picture" -> FAILURE.

- After that, if you switch to record mode, and you try to take a shot, the camera prints "compact flash failure" -> FAILURE

If you connect the camera to your computer, this is equivalent to the turn-on-directly-to-play-mode and so the camera tells the computer that there is no image.

After 1 week of this "game" the CF died. I received another Kingston in changefrom my shop but it show the same same problems. Now they offer me a Toshiba CF, will be it compatible?
skyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2004, 12:37 AM   #7

:sad:It is not the problem with this camera but Canon's attitude that bothers me. It may help if other people write Canon. Here is the address:

Mr. Kinya Uchida, CEO

Canon Usa Inc

One canon Plaza

Lake Success, NY 11402

I typed a letter to him and when I went to print it my Canon printer totally failed. Weird, huh? I keep on reading of more storage device problems. There is a microdrive that won't work with the S1. [size="21600,21600">President & CEO, Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Canon U.S.A., Inc.
One Canon Plaza
Lake Success, NY 11042
Phone: 516-328-5000Kinya Uchida
[/FONT][/FONT]
[/font][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/font][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/size][/font]]President & CEO, Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Canon U.S.A., Inc.
One Canon Plaza
Lake Success, NY 11042
Phone: 516-328-5000

futar11 is offline   Reply With Quote