Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 1, 2004, 8:25 PM   #1

The price of the A80 has gone down to such an attractive level that I could'nt resist and finally grabbed myself one. Imagine my dismay when I opened the box and saw "Made in China" at the bottom of the camera.

Might as well see how the pictures look, I said to myself; so I proceeded to take a few shots around the house to make an A/B comparison with my 1 year old Toshiba PDR 3330. Was I surprised with the picture quality!!! Tonal balance/color integrity??? (whatever the term) was spot on accurate, almost imperceptible noise, though I must admit the CA/purple fringing was too much for my liking. It blew the Toshiba away and made it look like a toy! A quick analogy that comes to mind would be: Canon A80 = Digital HDTV while the Toshiba PDR 3300 = Crappy broadcast TV with aerials.

Although I have had only an afternoon to play around with the A80, I could see that this is one heck of a good camera . Picture quality's at par if not better than my friends' Oly 5050, Sony v1, Nikon 5700, at half the price.

My only concern is that being "Made in China", would it make it inferior - image capturing wise / break down easier / have more quality issues compared to the "Made in Japan" batch?

Any feedback from Canon users/experts would be very much appreciated.

And also for curiosity's sake, you Canon A80 owners, I've added a poll. ( My guess is 75% China, 25% Japan .... let's all find out.

Thanks,

PS: Could somebody out there be kind enough to create a poll on the:

Canon A-80

* Made in Japan
* Made in China

( Obviously, I know nothing about making a poll here, as this message would attest to )
:sad:

Appreciate it,
oikos888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2004, 10:25 AM   #2

I'd be shocked if you found an under $500 Canon digicam made in Japan- that's the only way they can afford to sell these cameras at the prices they do and make the profit margins they want. They don't even build the Digital Rebel in Japan- it's made in Taiwan. The G5 I recently sold that cost me almost $800 new last September was, I believe made in Japan, but I don't have it anymore to verify that.

The few cameras I know of that are definitelymade in Japan today are the EOS 3 and 1Vfilm cameras. In January I purchased an EOS 3 that, according to the construction code had been built within the past 6 months in Japan. I would imagine all the various 1D (1D, 1Ds, 1D Mark II)series Digital SLR's are made in Japan as well.

The one anomaly I have found is the el cheapo 50mm f1.8 Canon lens that you can buy new for around $75US. I recently purchased one and was shocked to see "Made in Japan" on the front.

Don't equate the "where built" sign with image quality. They all have to pass the same quality control standards. Andyes, lemons do get out in any production run, even in Japan.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 2:34 PM   #3

True. Thanks for your post. But if you check out Steve's Canon A80 review page, you could see "Made in Japan" printed below the camera, might be a prototype model though.
oikos888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 2:58 PM   #4

It could also be they produce andsellsmall batches that are"Made in Japan" to the home folks in Japan. They do supply thingsin their own countrythat we cannot get, like black Digital Rebels.

I'm not sure how Steve gets his cameras. If they are from a supply he turns around and sells, or if he's one of the lucky ones on the short list that each company sends examples to do tests for us to read and decide what we want.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 2:52 PM   #5

I just checked my A20 and it says 'Made in Japan'.
It is now three years old and was one of the early ones available in webshops in The Netherlands.
sandeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 3:37 PM   #6
htb

Could be that it was "assembled" in China but the components were made in Japan?
htb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 10:59 AM   #7

I have one of the last S50s and it was made in Japan, as was my mid-run S200 and late production G3. I thknk last year or early this year Canon shifted production of the cheaper models (newer A series) to China, but the S and G models are still made in Japan.
asiafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 5:02 AM   #8

just curious...is there any way to tell if the camera is made in china or japan on the outside of the box? also, is it relatively difficult to get a japan made a80?
munkee222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 6:29 AM   #9

I bought an A-80 in May that is made in Japan.
mikesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 3:46 PM   #10
Mgz

I got my A80 from ecost.com @ X-mas and it is made in Japan. WOHOOO

In Canon made in Japan WE TRUST
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote