Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 1, 2004, 7:31 PM   #1

The general perception is "Made in Japan" is much better than "Made in China". Is there any truth to that?

Sorry guys, double post and no poll to boot. Could you please delete this, Steve? :?:

Thanks,

From a newbie that obviously does'nt know how to use this...
oikos888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2004, 5:19 AM   #2

Don't want to burst your bubble, but I would think ALL the A80's are made in China. Japan's labour costs are simply too high these days. They might do the R&D, marketing, admin, etc but no-one can beat the Chinese in manufacturing costs.

At any rateI cannot see the point of having some made in Japan, and some in China? The production run time of these products are so short doubling machine setup and supply costs makes no sense. Volume might be an issue, but again, no-one can out manufacture the Chinese!

I think we would all be shocked to see just how much equipment is manufactured in China, Korea, Thailand, and Taiwan. Both Apple and Sony have their LCD monitors made in Korea, and all the world's laptops are made by only three companies! Volvo cars are now built in Spain,Land Rovers in Botswana, BMW seating in South Africa, and Miele appliances in Italy. The two fastest growing brands in the world are Samsung and LG, both Korean.

I couldn't care if the stuff is made on the planet Zog, just as longas the quality is good.
HiltonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 1:38 PM   #3

True. Thanks for your post. But if you check out Steve's Canon A80 review page, you could see "Made in Japan" printed below the camera, might be a prototype model though.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 11:22 PM   #4

Yesterday, I bought a Canon A80 at Staples -- a clearance item and the one I got was the display model. It was MADE IN JAPAN. Today, I bought another one at Office Depot (price match) -- it was MADE IN CHINA.

So it's true -- the A80s were made in different factories in different countries. I wish they were both in pristine condition so I could do a REAL comparison test, but the demo model is a little banged up and may have been mistreated by shoppers. Tomorrow, I plan to give them both a workout.

I examined their physical appearance -- no discernable differences. The user guides have different covers (one was printed in Japan, the other in China), so it will be interesting to see if the content differs in any way.

Soon, I'll need to decide which one to return. The one manufactured in Japan has minor cosmetic defects, so if it seems to perform equally to the one manufactured in China, should I keep it? Testing them for a few days may not reveal the problems others have complained about. Does anyone know what I should be looking for? Exactly how are the Chinese-made cameras alleged to be inferior to those made in Japan?
convex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 10:00 PM   #5

I've got an A75 made in Malaysia :-)
Pete_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2004, 12:03 AM   #6

After checking them both out thouroughly and taking many photos, I concluded the one made in China was far better, but it's very possible the one made in Japan -- the demo model -- was defective (mistreated by customers? dropped?). I just couldn't get it to focus. Oh well, not a very good test. But at least I can say the one made in China performed perfectly.
convex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2004, 6:22 AM   #7

Glad to hear about that. My A80, also made in China performs flawlessly. This should further reassure consumers out there that it does'nt matter where your A80's made, they are built to rock!