Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 13, 2004, 4:03 PM   #1

Hi!

I have a question. Which camera is better to buy? Whats your opinion?
IpRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2004, 8:18 AM   #2

if you want quantity go for the g5

if you want quality go for s1 is

dont be fooled by the 5 mp

after all 95% of your prints will be in 4x6
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2004, 5:39 PM   #3

I must say that I agree completely. Let us not forget that with the zoom feature - you won't have to sit there and crop photos etc... which I think is one advantage that the 5MP has over the 3.2MP. That said, if the S1 IS had even 4MP then it would be a big step up seeing as 3.2MP is barely sufficient for 8X10 prints which the occasional picture might require.
Snooptonydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 3:07 AM   #4

First of all iwould liketo thnx your reply. I have to say sorry about my english knowledge is not so much therefore i cant write around what i think really.

So..

You say S1 IS is better choice if i want quality. Yes, more important the quality for me. But i dont understand what do you mean dafiryde "after all 95% of your prints will be in 4x6".

I dont understand too why the S1 IS is so expensive (i compared prizes G5 and S1 IS ). It is about quality, or just S1 is newer and thatswhy it is very expensive yet? I saw many 3.2MP cameras prizes, but they are not really like S1.

Btw im in a dilemma. I know CANON is the best nowadays in photo markets, it sells the most cameras. I think it can be about the quality. I know the mirror reflex systems are the best and in that case i can change the lens on it. If i have enought money for a mirror reflex camera, i would buy Canon, because the lens kompatibility. But if i cant buy mirror reflex system (and my dilemma is here) should i commitment myself with Canon? (Because in this case i can change only the memory card). I know it is a very subjective topic, but ...

Whats your opinion, which brands can be good for buying yet? (example: I know HP is not the best choice, but Nikon, Minolta and Fuji can be..)

Tnx for help!

Old Jul 20, 2004, 4:56 PM   #5

what i ment by 95 % of your prints being 4x6 is that after 21+ years in photography,i read a review in popular photography magazine where the articcewas on basic prints,i looked back at my photo albums and realized its true.i shot an average of 4 rolls a month (this is my hobby) and and most of my prints were in 4x6, some 8x10, and very little 11x14. my first digital was a kodak Dc 240 1.3 mega pixel and gave photo like 4x6prints so a 3.2 i know for a fact is fantastic

as for the s1 is features and being around slr all my life,it gave me what i was looking for in one small unit
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:10 AM   #6

Another reason why I trust Canon. My company had to buy 500 scanners for computer system network. After going cheap - 1 brand after another kept breaking. They finally realized they had to go with a quality unit that could withstand constant use for 12 hours a day. The choice was Canon. That is when I said hmmmmm.... :idea: Canon must make excellent optical stuff.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 2:12 PM   #7

Tnx all guys! So you suggest i choose Canon in any case. Only one question left i wrote yet: Can you tell me something about how fast prizes change? (Im planning to buy Canonafter end of october.)

(Now i have JENDIGITAL 3.2 MP cam, but except macro mode i dont like its optic :| ) ( http://hok.poliod.hu/~zolo/jendigital)
Old Jul 21, 2004, 5:37 PM   #8

Iprunner:

If you are waiting until October - just wait 1 more month and the X-mas bargains will begin. I noticed $50 price breaks this summer on some Canons, so expect that stuff to happen around holidays is my best guess.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 5:03 PM   #9

Snooptonydog, you wrote >>I must say that I agree completely. Let us not forget that with the zoom feature - you won't have to sit there and crop photos etc... which I think is one advantage that the 5MP has over the 3.2MP. That said, if the S1 IS had even 4MP then it would be a big step up seeing as 3.2MP is barely sufficient for 8X10 prints which the occasional picture might require.<<

Are you saying that the S1 is a better deal or the G5?:| Doesn't the S1 have a higher optical zoom than the G5? I am comparing these and the G3 too, and would appreciate more information from you.

Thank you
slouie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 5:06 PM   #10

dafiryde, you said >if you want quantity go for the g5

if you want quality go for s1 is

dont be fooled by the 5 mp

after all 95% of your prints will be in 4x6<

Sorry to be so "challenged" but what do you mean if I want "quantity?" And if I shouldn't be fooled by the 5mp, are you saying that the S1's photo quality is better? And yes, I usually print 4x6, sometimes 5x7, infrequently 8x10.

Thank you

slouie76 is offline   Reply With Quote