Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 14, 2004, 7:25 PM   #1

Canon Japan just released a firmware update for the S1 that fixes the LCD freeze up and overexposure in fill flash in bright light. Also seems to moderate the fast zooming of the lens. This makes a good camera almost outstanding.

Go here: http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/pss1is/firmware-e.html

See discussion of this on dpreview.com at:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=9530652

jpmccormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:02 PM   #2

:?Do you know if that firmware update fixes the flsh card compatibility problems?
futar11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 11:43 AM   #3

The firmware update sounds attractive, but it isn't 100% clear how to do the update.

For example, the 'Read Me' file that's part of the update package 'PowerShotS1iS....' leaves out substantial parts of the Canon Firmware Update instructions that you download in Adobe Acrobat format.

The Firmware Update Instructions in Acrobat format themselves aren't all that clear either. Step 2 for example starts off with -

<b>"Open the unpacked folder and start the UploadFirmware software used to transfer data".</b>

What 'UploadFirmware software', pray? The answer is probably further down, but why start off by putting the cart before the horse?

Then it tells you to 'Load the memory card'. What does that mean? To me, 'load' can mean 'upload some files into'. Or does it mean insert the card in the camera? If it does, why doesn't it say so?

My guess is that what Step 2 really means is that you -

1. insert a card in the camera, then

2. use the camera to initialise (i.e. format?) the card, then

3. connect the camera to your computer with the camera's USB cable, then

4. in your computer, click on the file 'uploadfirmware.exe', then

5. follow instructions that you will now see in what it calls the 'Upload Firmware window' - though whether this means a window on you computer screen or in the camera's display screen isn't specified),......etc.

The instructions in Steps 3 and 4 aren't much clearer.

Another thing that really puts me off trying to do it myself is that Step 3 has several warnings about signs that something has gone wrong, and telling you, if any of them happen, to contact the Canon service center.

I think I'd rather not risk doing something wrong. 'm going to ask Canon to do it.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 12:55 PM   #4

hi.

after typing serial number on canon web page to download new firmware,by getting this message (below) i assume i've got the latest model (though no black dot on CF panel is visible...) :

PowerShot S1 IS Firmware Update ...
The latest firmware already has been installed in your camera.So you do not have to update.

Thank you.

am i correct ?

_Bunio_[PL] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 5:41 PM   #5

jpmccormac wrote:
Quote:
Canon Japan just released a firmware update for the S1 that fixes the LCD freeze up and overexposure in fill flash in bright light.
So can I see a continuous image while I'm focusing (holding the shutter halfway) or taking a long-shutter image (so I can pan or do double exposures)?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 7:37 PM   #6

futar11 wrote:
Quote:
:?Do you know if that firmware update fixes the flsh card compatibility problems?
This is NOT mentioned. I'm not aware of a flash card compatbility problem.
jpmccormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 8:28 PM   #7

Probably. There should be a black dot on your CF door (inside) if it shipped with the lastest Firmware.
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 8:28 PM   #8

_Bunio_[PL] wrote:
Quote:
hi.

after typing serial number on canon web page to download new firmware,by getting this message (below) i assume i've got the latest model (though no black dot on CF panel is visible...) :

PowerShot S1 IS Firmware Update ...
The latest firmware already has been installed in your camera.So you do not have to update.

Thank you.

am i correct ?
Quote:
Probably. There should be a black dot on your CF door (inside) if it shipped with the lastest Firmware.

dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 2:31 AM   #9

My S1 doesn't have the black dot. However, I don't have administrator priveledges on my dad's Windows 2000 computer, so I can't install the canon browser software (I've been transferring images by way of a card reader).
What files do I need to copy to my microdrive (or should I use a regular CF card)? so I can flash the firmware without having to directly connect the camera to the computer, as I do not have the proper credentials (**...1,099,511,627,776 bytes of text CENSORED...*** <caps>microsoft for making it impossible to install USB devices without administrator priveleges</caps>) to install the drivers?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 3:17 AM   #10

dequardo wrote:
Quote:

i know that.. but funny thing - i don't have this black dot mentioned on canon web site

either way - i'm leaving it as it is... no problem found yet so no point of getting firmware...

i'm using 2x 256 CF Kingston and small 64 MB Rambus and it works fine.... so far...
_Bunio_[PL] is offline   Reply With Quote